1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam DV88 - UPDATE - New Firmware 1.74

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Matt Horne, Apr 24, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Wel.. what can I say... I got a further phone call from my dealer yesterday who had recieved the CD and updated my machine.

So.. Here are my findings..(based on my old firmware 1.3)

1). On a aesthetic note the crap blurry front screen has been replaced with a far better graphic. The setup screens have not changed except that a language option for the OSD is now available.

2). Multi-Region Capability is unchanged and the machine even seemed to be a bit quieter/quicker whne reading the discs.

3). So - far I have played one film (The Contender using the DTS soundtrack) with no problems or even a hint of a dropout

4). One of the music CD's which previously would not play at all also worked fine.

I will be testing further with the DVD's which caused me major problems over the next few days.. but so far I am very impressed.
    Whether it is just me but again I few the sound quality just gets better and better.. I am sure it is just me :rolleyes:

2 quirks to mention... firstly my dealer said it still did not work with Disney's Dinosaur (though previously I have played this disc before the update) and locks up the player. There should be a further update in the next couple of weeks. I will be getting the Region 1 Disc soon so I will try it then (As I never had any probs with the Region 1 Toy Story Box set)

The second quirk is the fact that each time the soundtrack changes (ie once the movie starts and the sountrack becomes DTS) it displays this on the OSD. Did it always do this I am sure it did not on 1.3.

But anyhow..it would seem that the problems (other than disney) are sorted and I will update this again once I have had time to put it through its paces!

So.. a big thanks to Arcam for coming up with the goods.. now I can see why I invested £900 quid in this machine...

Cheers

Matt

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep 1.74 is very good news.

It fixed my compatibility problem with the recent release of Cliffhanger R2 (yes I know I should have got the R1 !!), which is impressive since Arcam were unaware of the problem !

And to top it all off I'm certain they've managed to improve the MP3 playback. There has been arguments on this BBS about whether the Arcam doesn't sound very good with MP3's or whether it's because the format is not 'hi-fi'.

Well my argument was that the DV-88 sounded way inferior to my PC while playing MP3's through my main setup.

Not any more ! My test MP3 disc now sounds easily good enough to listen to all day on the DV-88. Of course it's not as good as CD, but most files sound as good as FM Stereo radio.

Well done Arcam !

Cheers,

DF

P.S. The only thing with these updates is that there is no release notes to see what they changed ! I keep thinking certain movies look and sound better than before but it's gotta be psychological !

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Can you confirm you have just had the player firmware upgraded or have you had the drive firmware upgraded too (LO14 I believe is the latest version).

Cheers
    Andy

4. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Both have been done... they are on the same CD and get applied at the same time!

Still no problems...

Still looks and sounds great...

Matt

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    zAndy1,

Arcam have released two updates -

LO14 which flashes the drive
    1.74 which updates the player itself.

My player was previously at LO13 and 1.6 respectively.

Cheers,

DF

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What was your dealer and where are you based, I've rang a few dealers in my area (Yorkshire/Humbs) and none of them have got the upgrade disc yet! Grrrrr

Cheers,
    Andy.

7. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    SevenOaks Hifi (Croydon Branch)

They have had the disc since Monday!

Cheers

Matt

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mmmm, good old North/South divide again! I'll ring round a few sevonoaks around here tomorrow and see if anyone has received it. By the way I presume I have to take it back to the place I bought it from to get upgraded or can I take it to any Arcam dealer?

Andy

9. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,

Further to your original post have you heard any DTS problems? Any problems at all? If so which discs?

Regards Neil.

10. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Jenz...

Since the update I have heard no sound problems what so ever.. on DTS or DD soundtracks.

I have still to re-watch again X-Men which was the disc which had the most dropouts. But I have to admit I have too many other moview to watch as well. But so far all is good!

Matt

11. gatesy

gatesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have just upgraded my DV88 via the 2 cds -thanks to Arcam sending them directly to me. I certainly cannot fault their support. :D

Things went smoothly - and maybe it is my imagination but pictures look sharper and sound is great with no dropouts.

However...
    I still seem to problems using the stop button to exit a dvd menu. When I press it it either moves the cursor up&down or left&right - do guys still get this? This happens on any DVD I try.

Zoom still seems to only work on a few dvds but not on others - e.g. Snatch. Although the chapter skip problem I had with this disc seems all cleared up.

The player is superb but still has some quirks.

Cheers,

Gatesy

12. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,

Slightly off topic but to answer your questions:

1) Rock is only really useful on Plasma, DILA, LCD or CRT Projectors, not normal TVs.

2) NDA expires when the company is ready with the finished product that I'm testing at the mo'.

Regards Neil.

13. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    The " Stop" problem is a feature of the player and is their so that it fits in with a custom remote that Arcam uses across its range. AnnoyingI know but it does mean you must be in a feature to stop the player.. or use the eject button to open the tray. IT does mean if you lost the remote you could navigate the menus using the keys on the front of the player :D

Maybe a next update could give us the option within the menus to turn this feature on/off.

Cheers

Matt

BTW Jenz.. I like the site.. and the Kit looks great.. Is the Rock only usefule if you are using a projector?? + when does the non-disclosure contract expire I am intrigued..

Cheers

Matt