Arcam DV88 - Still a good player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by warrj, Oct 10, 2002.

Tags:
  1. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My DVD player (a POS Rotel RDV985 which has already been repaired twice) has just died (again). I'm torn between buying a cheapo replacement and stumping up the cash for a serious player. I'm a bit of a fan of Arcam's stuff and I notice that the DV88 has had very good reviews. I'm not interested in its CD playing capabilities as I already have a very good CD player.

The question is as the DV88 seems to be nearly two years old is it still a killer machine or has it been overtaken by cheaper Japanese machines? From an AV perspective would I be better off with, say, the new Pioneer (656 I think) universal player which also does DVD-A and SACD out of the box?

Regards,

Jules.

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Hi..

Check out the other threads here about the DV88 + which is the new version of the player which is PAL prog scan out of the box / new boards etc etc.. and its the same price as the DV88.

I will hopefully be getting mine upgraded soon..

Matt

P.S it is a stunning player