Arcam DV88 - RGB output via phonos?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jon Weaver, May 3, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +723
    I just saw this comment in the DV88 review on this site:

"You also have three phono terminals that deliver component video or RGB"

Whilst Component and RGB are different, am I lead to believe that on the DV88 these phonos can be configured to provide RGB?

Does this mean that with a suitable cable, I could make the DV88 provide RGB without using the SCART.

If this is the case, then will it 'pass through' the RGB signal from the SCART?

The reason I ask is that whilst the DV88 nearly offers everthing I want.. I would really like 2xSCARTS so that I can pass the output of my Dreamcast through it and therefore share the single RGB input on the TV.

To be honest, as I write this, I have my doubts as, by using the phonos for RGB, there will be no way to provide the necessary signals (i.e Wide Status on Pin 9 of the SCART) to the TV..

Has anyone played around with this?

2. Dorian

Dorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I'd be pretty sure the DV-88 won't do pass-thru RGB using the SCART and phono sockets.

Also, I think there is an extra requirement to use composite as a synch signal when using RGB via the phono sockets.

When I traded in my Pioneer 626 for the DV-88 I kicked myself for two things - I'd spent all that money and :
    a) lost Macrovision disable
    b) still didn't have two SCART sockets !!

But picture/sound/play-anything ability more than makes up for it.

Hope that helps,

Domino

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +723
    With regards to the RGB, I would expect that you need to use Composite as Synchronisation.. Thats not a problem, but you are right, I don't think that it will pass the RGB through...

To be honest, I don't have this feature now, so can't say that I will miss it.. But 2 x SCARTs was something I was hoping to gain by upgrading.

HOWEVER, I am much more shocked about the lack of Macrovision... I never expected that... I didn't even think of it.. But that does worry me!!!