1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam DV88 Progressive Vs HCPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gliese 581c, May 19, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    Just about to be the proud owner of a sony 11ht projector and was wondering what would give me the better pic quality....

I have a Denon A11 dvd & an Arcam DV88P, was thinking of using the arcam for the projector as the projector doesnt have dvi/hdmi so I would use component and keep the A11 as it has dvi for when I get an updated plasma with a dvi/hdmi input...

So what would give me the best pic quality ? the arcam or a hcpc with Holo3dgraph/Holo3dgraph II card installed ? I'm not experienced in hcpc's at all and only have the knowledge of a quick forum search and reading your posts etc. As the sony has a native 1366x768 resolution, am I right in saying that through the arcam I couldnt reach that resolution but the holo3dgraph in a hcpc would ?

Any help, advice or general comments would be much appreciated.

:lease:

2. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There were discussion on exactly the same topic a few months ago. Try here and here, as well as search for "dv88 htpc".

In short: sell your DV88!

3. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    Thanks Branxx, im inclined to agree with your 'in short' comment after reading both threads.

hmm

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also consider the other advantages of HCPC: DVD storage, TV capture (digital terrestrial/satellite), hidef (€uro1080i, WMVHD etc.) as well as media duties. PC gaming on the big screen can be fun too :)

On pure PQ well, I still think a well setup HCPC would (should) win.

:smoke:

5. dannyc

dannyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't be too quick to dismiss the Arcam, I still think there are some advantages to an SDI equipped player and a Holo3d vs Theatertek or Powerdvd especially with PJs locked at 60HZ. Pans with a software player on pal at 60hz are generally not quite as smooth as the SDI option, also the spdif output in the Arcam will be better than all but the best soundcards. That said I have moved to software based setup for simplicity and ease of use.

Dan

6. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    good points..

there is as Danny said the hybrid approach, using the PC as an SDI scaler (an SDI capture card and standalone SDI modified DVD player can be obtained for less that £600)

This can be a nice approach as for casual viewing, the usual analogue outputs of the DVD player can be connected to the display device(s), and used without the PC being even switched on.
    Then of course the PC can be used for the more serious viewing through SDI/DScaler and all of the usual HTPC bells and whistles.

Alternatively if you want a completely HTPC free environment, you can still match HTPC performance if you use an SDI scaler (with custom resolution support) and an SDI DVD player.

So in summary, these are great times for home theatre enthusiasts, with lots of different price/performance/features/ease-of-use options available.

If you need any info then drop us a line.

cheers

7. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Now scare him witless David by telling him the price of the last option ;)

Currently I use a Denon 2900 modded for SDI via a HTPC. This is largely because I like the flexibility of the set top player and its user friendliness - great PQ also. But in all honesty I've never yet bettered the quality from the all HTPC route - based on Theatertek.

8. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    Thanks for the offer David, I may take you up on that and thanks to everyone else for your input and ideas, i have a lot to go on now :)

p.s. Philip, scared of costs involved ? Dont think so mate, If I want something badly enough I'll buy it.

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly my motto :D

10. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, my HTPC gives better quality than my DV88+p but I currently use both depending on whether I play a movie of my hd or its a hire movie (dv88+p).

CaM

11. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    why dont you just play your hire movie on your dvd-rom on your hcpc ?

12. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's a good question :)

things still aren't fully automated (setting resolution etc...) or tweaked so putting a hired dvd in my player currently takes slightly less effort.

No doubt I'll slowly phase it out.

CaM

13. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Arcam,

Would you give an update on the arcam against htpc route and which did you take?

cheers

gary

14. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    But I still like the simplicity of turning the arcam on and inserting a disc.. quite a few times I have spoken to friends to find they are re-building the HTPC again due to some crash/issue/incompatibility ;)

Maybe one day .. but for me not yet :)