Arcam dv88+ problems

jimbof

Standard Member
Reaction score
I got one of these on Thursday, and on the whole it has been a fantastic upgrade from my old player, but...

While watching the R1 Out of Sight this evening the picture locked up for a few seconds at one point (didn't note the time, but its when Snoopy is shaking down Dick the Ripper in the prison library). It only did it once, then I couldn't reproduce. Then a bit later on the subtitles seemed to randomly switch on, but not quite. Only every other line of them appeared, and they were in the wrong place on the picture. When they first appeared they were relevant to the picture (ie the represented the dialog being spoken), but they stayed up and never changed. As soon as I hit the rewind button they disappeared.

Is this going to be a frequent problem? And has anyone got any idea whats causing it?

Jimbof,

Is this the only DVD thats caused you any problems?. I've had a DV88+ for over a week and everything I've thrown at it so far has played perfectly.

John.

So far its the only one - though I've only had it since thursday! I'm a bit paranoid now though - may have to spend tomorrow trying out some of the more notorious problem discs!

Hi Jimbof,

I have the DV88p and have had two disks "freeze", one R1, the other R2.

I have since rewatched and replayed the scenes in question and it hasn't happened since.
I put it down to a dirty disc?

HTH

I've now had another disc do the random subtitle thing (R1 Jay and Silent Bob). Again rewinding cleared the sub (which was only half on anyway) and I couldn't reproduce. And the player has refused to play a trailer on the Swingers R1 saying bad disc, then been perfectly all right after ejecting and reloading the disc. These were both brand new discs so I dont think its anything to do with the discs themselves. Anyway I guess I'll be on the phone to Arcam tomorrow!

I had another two discs "freeze" three times this weekend on my DV88p :(

Made sure discs were clean before playing and upon replaying scenes in question they played fine???

Any ideas anyone?
:confused:

I've had this problem with both the DV88s I had. R1 discs would drop thier sound breifly and sometimes the picture would freeze.

I exchanged my first player but my second player was giving me the same problem, so I ended up sending my most problematic disc (O Brother where art thou) to arcam. They said that I was an authoring problem with some early versions of certian films...something to do with the menus or trailers not conforming to the DVD standards...this apparently makes the rest of the film play up. Seems strange that supposedly inferior japanese brands dont have these problems.

I still occasionally get drop outs on R1 discs but they don't seem to be repeatable. I should get this sorted before the gaurentee runs out but to be honest I think its a case of putting up with it (arcam will say its the discs fault) or getting a different player (I love my arcam!!).

I dont want this to sound like a rant against Arcam as they were always polite and helpful...and of course I love their products...but I cant help but feel cheated that my £1000 player has problems playing certain discs...to be quite honest I feel embarrased!!!

Hi

I am on the verge of buying a new DV27, and these sorts of problems really put me off.

Dito... not good to hear... considering the 88+ myself.

Hi...

I have had 2 DV88's (though the first was nicked).. Just had to return the second one to Arcam for a new drive as it was vibrating and refusing to play DVD's etc etc.. Whilst it was there I had it upgraded to the Plus Spec.. had it back a couple of days and I am very impressed so far!.

Le Hutch.. what version of the software are u running on your DV88? I understand that 1.8 was meant to help with the dropouts?? I have a copy of the upgrade discs from Arcam which I could send to you to use if you like ?.. PM me your details if you want to upgrade.. it may help (otherwise is may mean your drive needs replacing ??

HTH

Matt

Phoned Arcam today and was told that new software would fix my subtitle problems - so I shall wait and see. but I have to second the above opinions that I find it strange that my sony 735 played everything I could throw at it, while the high end players (and this isn't an arcam specific whinge, the denon 3800 seems to be fairly tempramental!) have all these problems.

Hi all,

V1.8 does correct audio dropouts - fortunately don't suffer these myself.

The picture freezing can be quite off putting, but as I said earlier it's strange that I can't replicate the problem again?
Maybe I need to clean the discs with something a little stronger than my t-shirt :blush:

Just as an addition - the R1 disc that froze twice was Spiderman. The forward/rewind didn't work either and each time the film was stopped it restarted at the beginning :(
I put the last problem down to RCE and icompatability...maybe

is this software only suitable for the dv88 or is it an upgrade for the fmj27 as I'm currently on 1.79 of that

cheers

MAtt,

When did V1.8 come out? Mine was upgraded in April/may??

Also, can you tell me about this drive upgrade...when was it released, what does it cure, does it cost ?

ta

Lee

Le Hutch...

I got the 1.8 upgrade a couple of weeks ago... I do not think its been out very long.. it is bascially the 1.79 patch with the added bonus of "hopefully" sorting out alot of the dropouts ppl have been having with it. Arcam sent it to me as I was having problems just to see if it made any difference. THe problem though with my drive was mechanical hence it got sent back and replaced with the latest model drive and I got it upgraded to the Plus spec at the same time (which I had to pay for).

If your player is still under warranty and the problem is persistence then maybe Arcam would just replace the drive as a way of fixing it. But I do remember from a thread about CD copy protection that JD of Arcam had said you could get the drive replaced to a newer model (which then worked with some of the CD copy protection systems) for £100. If he sees this thread maybe he could remind us of it.

So far I have had no probs with my new updated player.. though I have not had much time to really put it through its paces!

The patch came on 2 discs one for the software and one for the Drive firmware it that needed upgrading.. again let me know if you want the discs.. else contact your dealer to get them to upgrade it!

HTH

Matt

Yeah Ive just been in touch with sevenoaks and they have the latest software. Ill get my player upgraded and see what happens....

Just a word to the uninitiated - this thread is discussing SW updates for both Arcam Zoran Vaddis 3 based players (DV88 and DV88P - the latter with SiI503 PS board) and the very new Vaddis 5 based players (DV88 Plus).

Please remember DVD players are quite complex computers and DVD discs are the programs which run on those computers. Thus wrinkles can sometimes happen, especially when chasing that extra bit of performance. We have a SW and HW team here in the UK to support all our players and have a programme of continuous improvement for these players based on both the availability of new components and the light of experience.

There is some SW (v1.8) for the DV88 and DV88P which fixes at least some of the occasional audio dropouts experienced with certain AV receivers and DTS encoded DVDs. We haven't done a ton of field trials so I don't know if it is a 100% fix, but it certainly helps. It will also work in Vaddis 3 based DV27s.

The DV88 Plus has been in the market for about 6 weeks and we have come across a few issues which we didn't find in beta test. In particular, on a few discs, there have been very occasional freezes reported and subtitles popping up. This is one and the same issue - related to memory management - and we have a player SW disc available from our helpdesk to fix this. If you have a DV88 Plus and are concerned talk to the helpdesk. Naturally current production has this SW applied.

Current players are fitted with LT drives of various types which with the right firmware support CD replay of Cactus Datashield and Key2Audio copy protected "CDs". The latest versions also support more types of recordable DVDs IIRC. These latest drives are quieter too. We can offer an upgrade path at a concessionary price for people with the earlier LK and LO type drives to the very latest LT7.x type drives - ask the helpdesk if interested. Tel is 01223 203203 in office hours.

I hope this helps clarify matters.

John Dawson (Arcam)

John, are these upgrades applicable to the DV27 also? and can the Vaddis 5 go in the DV27? If so at what cost?

Regards Neil.

Hi Neil,

Yes they are applicable to the DV27. It is likely the standard offer will be a "bundled" deal combining the Vaddis 5 board plus DVD-A DAC board and additional DVD-A SW. This is what we always promised we would offer as an upgrade. Projected price on this bundle is £400. It is likely to be deliverable early in the new year.

HTH.

John

john wrote : - It will also work in Vaddis 3 based DV27s.

Are there some that aren't then, or are all currently vaddis 3. If there are some that aren't how does one tell

many thanks

Originally posted by le hutch
MAtt,

When did V1.8 come out? Mine was upgraded in April/may??

Also, can you tell me about this drive upgrade...when was it released, what does it cure, does it cost ?

ta

Lee

Unfortunatly Arcam do not have any dvd software update info or downloads available on there website as they do not like dvd owners to upgrade the software at home, simply it can go wrong!

So the only way is to contact there support people for the latest available upgrades to there dvd players, if you can burn it they will send it to you AT YOUR RISK mind.

Guys talk to them and they will help, I did and got sorted pronto --keep up the great work---

bob

:cool:

I got my software update on saturday and upgraded - but the subtitles still appeared while watching Futurama S2 last night - so I think the software still has a few bugs in it!

I've let Arcam know, so hopefully there will be a fix soon.

For any other Dv88 + / DV27 owners you may wish to checkout the other thread regarding DTS playback :)

Matt

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom