Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Arcam DV88 Problems?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Adam Barratt, Jan 6, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought an Arcam DV88 last week, and have been having some problems with a few discs, specifically with occasional dropouts on DTS titles (Jurassic Park R1 and Close Encounters of the Third Kind R4); menu problems on a couple of discs such as The Rock (R1) and navigation problems with Planet of the Apes (2000, R1).

The player refuses to let me stop or pause the disc while Planet of the Apes is playing, or let me stop any disc when a navigation menu is onscreen. The player also refuses to play The Rock from the disc's opening menu (I have to use the chapter selection menu).

Are these common problems with the Arcam? I don't know anyone else who has a DV88. The player's firmware is 1.74 and the drive LT18, which my dealer assures me is the latest. I experimented with the player at my dealer's around 10 months ago but found too many quirks and problems at the time, but things seemed to be working OK with their newer players (apparently not as well as I had hoped).

These seem strange problems to have with such an expensive player when none of my other (much cheaper) machines have any problems with any discs. Every review I've read has raved about the player (which admittedly looks and sounds amazing; when it's working properly).

The Arcam is connected to a Yamaha DSP-A1, which has never had dropout problems before. Should I return this player and go for a Toshiba or Denon or is this something Arcam are working on? Any advice is appreciated.

Adam

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Hi Adam,

I've just tried Planet of the Apes (2000, R1) on my DV88 and it pauses fine during play, but I know that some disks (Thirteen Days being one) that refuse to pause or stop on the player.

Also, the menu problem appears to be a standard thing. When you press stop it moves down the selections. I now have a Tag DVD32R that requires you to press and hold the stop button to stop a disk when in it's menu.

If I remember rightly my first player (Pioneer DV501) wouldn't stop in the menu system of disks either.

Another thing is that not all players play every disk. It has something to do with the mastering of the disks.

I have two disks that never worked in my Pioneer player, but worked fine in the Arcam and now the Tag. Also had problems with The Mask and Chain Reaction on the Arcam, but both played fine on the Pioneer and now the Tag.

The Tag also has a few problems with some disks (The Mummy Returns R4 & The Emperors New Groove R1) that are down to bad mastering. Both disks work fine in the Arcam.

Some of the problem disks reported to Tag are now working due to them supplying software updates for the player to improve it's tolarance of these badly mastered disks.

Here is a quote that I got from the Tag site about The Emperors New Groove The Ultimate Groove (R1)

This problem has now been identified, it is caused by a disc authoring fault (incorrect values for the System Clock Reference (SCR) data during the period 7:20 - 7:45, there may also be incorrect values elsewhere on the disc). The SCR data is used by Pantera 1 (the decoder in DVD32R) to control the flow of incoming data (technically the correct way to use this data, but other approaches are also possible). The incorrect values cause overflows in the video and audio data buffers. This faulty content cannot be corrected within the DVD32R software.

An update on this one: this isn't a DVD-Video disc! Disney seem to have opted out of carrying the DVD-Video logo on this disc, badging it "Disney DVD" instead. This means they do not have to comply with the DVD-Video specifications, so although this disc is non-compliant the DVD Format & Logo Licensing Corporation cannot take them to task over it. Basically if a disc (or player) does not carry the DVD-Video logo it does not have to meet the specifications.

So it appears that some software companies are not following the rule book when it comes to DVD so you'll always find some titles that some players have problems with.
    All hardware companies can do is follow the guide lines for the production of players and keep their fingers crossed that the software companies do their job correctly.

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The latest software for the DiVA DV88 and fMj DV27 is ver. 1.76. This adds a few more useful features like full Pronto compatabiltiy etc.

I expect it sorts out some disc problems also.

4. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi..

The ability to not stop discs inthe menus is a feature.. bascially it lets you control the menus from the machine (if you lost the remote) therefore the stop button is mapped to down I think...

I usually start a feature then stop it or hit the disc eject!

Matt

P.S I had the dropouts but that firmware did sort it.. Saying that there has always been comments about DTS tracks and Yamaha Amps in general... the original DTS discs always had dropouts because of a flag in the soundtrack which the Yamaha amps did not know what to do with.. and therefore would drop for a second...

Cheers

Matt

5. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the repies everyone. I can see that using the stop button as a navigation tool if the remote is lost could be useful; it's just a shame that when you do have the remote it causes such problems. I really think Arcam should have given this one a little more thought; just thinking about the problems this feature would cause with the supplemental material on T2:UE or The Abyss is a nightmare. Having to eject the disc seems a bit extreme.

I carried out a search of the forum earlier today, and did notice that many, although certainly not all, having problems with the Arcam and DTS dropouts also own Yamahas. Strange, as none of my other or past players have had any problems with the Yamaha.

The Arcam importer called me today and has said they will be meeting with Arcam at CES and hope to get back to me on the problems I'm having. I'll be interested to hear what they learn, although at the moment it looks like I'll end up with an Onkyo 939, Denon 2800 or similar. This is a shame as the Arcam's picture and sound are truly outstanding. Once again, thanks for your input.

Adam

6. WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi
    Apparantly not...no navigator changes just some additions, anyway see this sitehttp://www.geocities.com/nutsnbolts02/page01
    ;)

7. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Planet Of Apes R1 works perfect on my dv88.

Also...where can I get software info for the DV88..also, what is pronto compatibility ?

Thanks

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You can get software from either your dealer or Arcam, it says what version you have in the top left corner of the screen when you switch the machine on.

The Pronto compatability means that the pronto can now control the DV88 properly, whereas before it had a problem with learning the codes properly and transmitting them correctly.