Arcam DV88, possible problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by -Spike-, Jul 29, 2002.

Tags:
  1. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hi all,

Got a bit of a problem with my recently finished HC room, this could be either DVD player or projector, I'll try to keep it brief.

I'm feeding my Sim2 HT300 pj with my Arcam DV88 via component, to an Owl 16:9 7ft 1.3 gain screen. Whilst watching "full" screen DVD's i.e. 1.85:1 aspect ratio I have noticed what I can only really describe as a wavy line near the top of the picture. This line causes everything behind it to shimmer and as you maybe able to imagine is quite distracting.

As mentioned earlier I only see this near the top of the picture, if viewing in 2.35:1 the "black bars" cover the problem. Also it seems less evident on NTSC discs?

Things I've tried;

1.Pj software download to 2.07 - no effect

2.Replaced Arcam with Toshiba 210e (PAL only) - this made the picture even worse, a large line sometimes almost half the screen in width!

3.Tested all connections and none are near any mains supplies

Current feedback from my dealer is that they think it maybe a macrovision compatability issue between pj and player, also awaiting feedback from Sim2 (taking ages)

Another idea is to upgrade the Arcam's software, currently on 1.76, maybe the drive as well?

Apologies for waffle but any feedback at all/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. harry_thx

harry_thx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

to check if this is a MacroVision problem use a DVD without the copy protection. Not everey DVD has it!. Or take a test DVD or trailer DVD.

Regarding the Arcam, I know that the current software ist 1.79. With this they fixed some problems in working together with digital PJs. But I think this only affect progressive mode. But may be it helps.

Best regards

Harry

3. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hi Harry,

Using a DVD without copy protection is an excellent idea, now why didn't I think of that!
    I have a few DTS demo discs do you think they are macrovision free?

As for the software update on the Arcam to 1.79, even though it's stated as a progressive fix, I think it still sounds promising and is worth a go

Many thanks for taking the time to reply

4. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Update

Upgraded firmware/software on Arcam to LT37/1.79 and the problem still persists :(

I then tried one of my DTS demo discs which I double checked with DTS and they are indeed copy protection free and what happened? - problem solved :eek:

It's now looking likely that this could indeed be a Macrovision problem but what with? projector or DVD player?
    This "wavy line" also seems far less evident on NTSC discs as well

I have to say that my dealer (Sevenoaks, Hove), Owl/Sim2 and Arcam are being very helpful but are slowly running out of ideas and it's all taking so long......

If it is a Macrovision problem what choices do I have?

Any recommendations on what to try next?

I really need some advice here guys, please.
    Regards

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would look at the projector, the DVD just outputs what it reads, I think... :blush:

6. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hi Lowrider,

Thanks for the reply.

What about the DTS demo disc being ok though?

Although the picture problem was even worse when I tried a Toshiba 210e.....

Could be either I suppose?

Just hoped that someone else might have experienced a similar problem and would know of a remedy

Anyone?
    Any suggestions?

Thanks

7. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I think it is almost clear that it is a Macrovision related problem, the DTS doesn´t have it...

I don´t remember earing of any Macrovision problems with DVD players, but I think I remember reading somewhere of such problems with projectors or plasmas...

Good luck... ;)

8. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I normally try to keep out of things like this but to the best of my knowledge all the Arcam players are completely compliant with the Macrovision specification (i.e. they don't put out anything nastier than the spec allows) and all TV and display device makers are aware of these specifications should they sign the necessary NDAs to view them. It is up to them to ensure their display devices are not affected by any Macrovision signals, which are a legal requirement for manufacturers to incorporate into all consumer DVD players. I understand Macrovision is usually even willing to offer technical help to set makers who have trouble here, if they are asked.

It is not mandatory for DVDs to incorporate the flag to switch on Macrovision (indeed it is rumoured that the Harry Potter DVD does not use it thus saving the maker a few cents per disc) so you will find examples of that and the DTS demo disc may well be one of those. Video Essentials is another IIRC.

I hope this helps clarify matters.

John Dawson (Arcam)

9. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Lowrider/John,

Looks like a little more investigation into the projector is needed then

Thanks for taking time to reply
    Regards

10. John Sparks

John Sparks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi , macrovision what a pain in the rear . i was wanting to buy an arcam dvd player to take to the usa with me. i wanted to be able to have the macrovision off so when i connect it upto a standards convertor the pal to ntsc conversion would be correct . this would then allow me to watch my pal region 2 on a usa ntsc tv. i was'nt wanting to do anything sinister or anything just watch movies ! . now then the arcam CAN have the macrovision disconected by Arcam if they wanted to but that would be not right and proper for them to do so. with respect to there sticking to the legal aspects. the downer here being for some of us who just want to be able to watch and not scam film companys. everyone has to make a $ or 2 but " rock and a hardplace "is the only thing i can think of. so now for me i will have to slum it with my samsung 709 macro off or use my " cpc bought macro remover ".

shame really , i love my arcam system and wanted to add there dvd .:confused:

11. mickey moo

mickey moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to suggest harry potter as well as John. carrying on from what he has said though :
    "Macrovision signals, which are a legal requirement for manufacturers to incorporate into all consumer DVD players" I did not think it was a legal requirement to have macrovision coming through component outputs although this may be a grey area. I wish I had a better memory but I am sure I heard of a player where this was the case.

12. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    It most certainly is a legal requirement to have Macrovision protection on component video outputs from DVD players, as well as RGB, s-video and composite. There is a special version for progressive video too.

John Dawson (Arcam)

13. mickey moo

mickey moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry John, of course it would be a requirement, bound to be. It's just in the back of my mind that there was a player out there (from a reputable manufacturer) where macrovision was disabled on the component output.
    It just seems crazy - after all nothing "normal" over here will record component anyway, and the real threat from piracy is from dvd burners rather than anything else and its not as if macrovision has ever really stopped piracy in the first place.

Sure, it has stopped Joe Bloggs from making a copy for his kids to use upstairs or for next door but it hasn't stopped the real pirates.
    Can't ARCAM bend the rules just a little bit ? After all the DV88 can be made to change regions ! It would be a pity if though, if macrovision on the DV88 upset certain projectors through no fault of ARCAM. If this problem occurs with other DVD players wouldn't it make your player a very tempting proposition if it could accidentally disappear on the component output !?

14. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hi Mickey,

Obviously Arcam nor any other company could officially bend the rules, not unless they wish to face court action over it.

I understand what your'e saying though about not stopping the real pirates but it is a preventative measure which has to be there though, just a shame that it's giving me so much grief at the moment!

I own the Harry Potter disc but until now haven't tried it on the projector.
    Guess it's worth a go, then I'd be sure.....

Regards

15. mickey moo

mickey moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve,

I Know, My post was supposed to be a little tongue-in-cheek and not to be taken too seriously - especially by John Dawson whoom I hold in the very highest regard, (There are not many manufacturers who have someone of John Dawson's position spending his spare time browsing through forums trying to help customers. and he's done this for years). Im sure he would love to take the damn thing (macrovision) off if he could.

all the best

Mike