1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam DV88 Plus Audio Dropouts

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kell, Mar 26, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Kell

Kell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Havn't seen much activity in historical post so I thought I'd start a new thread.

I'm now on my second Arcam DV88. My original DV88 was with my supplier for 4 months while I awaited it's repair. The dealer was good enough however to compensate me for the excessive delay by providing me with a brand new DV88P which I was originally thrilled with!

BUT

Then came the problems. From day one I have experienced audio signal dropouts from every possible source...DD 5.1, DTS, CD etc. These dropouts are impossible to replicate. Sometimes you'll get halfway through a movie and then get one and sometimes it'll start dropping the signal within the first 5 minutes.

I've just spent 15 minutes on the phone with Arcam customer support who where surprised I was getting these problems across all platforms and suggested a firmware upgrade would resolve some but not all problems.

I know I'm not alone, but I think it's disgusting that my high end DVD player is outclassed on an audio front by my xbox, PS2 and crappy old Sony player. High end equipment should be just that. These sorts of problems are inexcusable in my mind.

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I think the 3800 owners who have experienced the freezing problem will agree ;)

Unfortunately it seems that the more you pay on a player, the more likely it is to have problems :( :suicide:

JJ

3. martintyler

martintyler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have only seen this on R1 dvd (DD and DTS), dont think i have had it on R2, and definitely not on CD.

I have been sent the latest firmware etc, but not installed it yet.

I agree that I dont think its really acceptable. I design and write software for a living (nothing to do with AV equipment) and although I can understand that is a big task to test with everything possible, it is very important to try to.

This seems to have been a known issue with the DV88 for quite some time, and the only 'solution' is 'upgrade the firmware which will fix SOME problems'. It is understandable skimping on testing in areas which are so huge, but once a problem is highlighted there isnt really an excuse for it not being fixed.

4. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Not had any of the dropout problems with my old DV88 or with my DV88+ (I had it upgraded).

I am running the latest versions.. and for the DV88 I believe this is 1.81. I would highly recommend getting it you will be surprised how much it will sort out. I personally have had more issues with the drive itself..I am on my third but this one seems fine. Never had any probs with the customer service.. they have sorted me out no problems :)

Matt

5. martintyler

martintyler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whether you have noticed the problem could depend on the rest of your system.. for example the tag av32r will mute momentarily when a dropout occurs so it is very obvious.. whereas i never noticed it when i had an Arcam AVR100.

I never even knew whether Arcam customer service was good or not til i got my DV88.. having owned Arcam cd players and amps for years i have never had to contact them. I prefered it when i didnt know :)

6. rafaelp

rafaelp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's an interesting comment. I just recently traded in for an Aragon Stage One and have been hearing dropouts when playing DTS material on my DV27. I'm already using firmware v1.81. If I "rewind" back to the same spot the dropout is gone. I have a call in to Aragon and might try a different player to localize where the fault lies.

7. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not think firmware will help you if you have older LO drive inside your Arcam DV88
    I sold mine to a friend (he was informed about the problem, of course) and he still gets these dropouts, even now with latest firmware , 1.81 if I'm corerct (however, not so often as before)

But if you get it on newer DV88+ then it stinks!