Arcam DV88 Playing up!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by FCP FAN, Jul 5, 2003.

Tags:
  1. FCP FAN

FCP FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!

I need help with my DV88.

When outputing Interlaced signal via component output the picture is very jerky once in a while! this only hapens in component output!
    Has anyone experienced this problem? Any clues?

I could email Arcam, but i have emailed them about some questions 20 days ago (and repeated teh e-mail just in case after a week) but had no answer whatsoever:thumbsdow .

Thanks!

Edit:
    I have the latest software (1.82 (not) EDIT - 1.81) and drive firmware(LO16)
    This only hapens on some dvds, not all, and only in component output(Ex. The Matrix via Scart is fine - using component - Jerky)

2. FCP FAN

FCP FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump...

need help...

must....play....dvds....

cannot... get dv88.... to... work right...

3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Are u playing a NTSC dvd but outputting PAL through the player?

Just setup the player to "auto" output (if your TV can take it) and u should not have any problems.. I think its when u force the player to convert between the 2 standards.. I'm sure this is mentioned in a faq on the arcam website or in the manual.

HTH

Matt

4. FCP FAN

FCP FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, im playing PAL discs with setup set to "auto" output and HQ video to component.
    Tried all variations of setup with no luck.

thanks anyway Matt :)

Anyone has any tips?

5. FCP FAN

FCP FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?:confused:

6. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi FCP Fan -

Sorry to hear of your problems. After checking, we have no record of either of your e-mails I have to say, which is why you have not heard from us. The correct address is support@arcam.co.uk - put something about Arcam or DV88 in the subject line, as we get tons of spam and have to have pretty strong spam filters - this way we are more likely to get the enquiry. Are you in the UK by the way and what is your regular e-mail address?

To the best of my knowledge, there should be no difference in terms of any pausing or jerkiness when playing through SCART or component or any other video output. The necessary video conversions are not done in the main MPEG decoder chip but in a separate video D/A converter which always receives the same digital video signal whether it outputs composite video, RGBS or component video. So unless we have a new and unusual one-off fault this does not really make sense to me, though I will check with our design team.

The most likely cause of pausing or jerkiness is a contaminated laser on the DVD drive or a dirty disc. You can use a CD-ROM based cleaner for the drive and the usual cleaning processes for the DVDs.

Another thought - the last drive firmware issued by Arcam for the LO drive was LO14. If you are using a later firmware version such as LO16 then it must have come from elsewhere and has not been verified by Arcam. Alternatively your drive may be the later LT type, the first version of which did at one time have LT16 firmware. If the drive firmware is LT16 then it will need upgrading - the last version for that drive's hardware was LT23 and I believe this would help you. Also I am puzzled by the player SW version you quoted as the last player SW release AFAIK was 1.81. Don't know anything about a 1.82.

Hope this helps. If you need to correspond more please do it through support as you will appreciate that I don't generally get much time to do this sort of thing on line.

Sincerely,

John Dawson (Arcam)

7. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    John,

I'm puzzled as I have LO16 firmware. I was sure I had LO14 firmware but I checked again and I have LO16! I did have to swap out my DV88 for a new one at one point so I must have been remembering the old version number.

I got my DV88 from a reputable local Arcam reseller so I can't explain why I have an unauthorized firmware.

Due to sound dropout issues I upgraded my main firmware to 1.81 which I got from support. (FCP FAN, try giving them a ring, at least you'll be certain your message has got through.) I didn't upgrade my drive firmware as it looked like a downgrade.

Should I worry?

Thanks,

Charles.

8. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Charles,

That's interesting - I'll look into it and let you know.

John Dawson (Arcam)

9. FCP FAN

FCP FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Dawson:

First of all thank you for your reply to my post.
    I know that the people at Arcam have a lot of work and little
    time to spare on these forums so I´m glad of your reply.

I have emailed Arcam today with a proper identified subject line
    "URGENT ARCAM DV88 PROBLEM!!! ":eek:
    using my e-mail addres (wich i will not post here) so if you search
    support e-mails you should identify it.

There are differences in terms of or jerkiness when playing through SCART or component since in scart its fine and using component the image is jerky from time to time.

The Software of my Player is of course 1.81(not 1.82) and
    the drive is LO and the firmware is LO16 (yes thats correct)
    The problem existed with other versions of software and firmware
    since I upgraded them in hope of resolving this problem.

I have explained the problem with more detail in the e-mail to Arcam so i will wait to be e-mailed back :p

Thanks guys, i will now wait for Arcams answer

Peace:smashin:

10. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Just to say we got your e-mail this time! Support will respond later, probably today, but in summary we think this is very likely a problem with your new Panasonic TV not the DVD player, particularly as the player apparently worked fine into your Toshiba TV and a Panasonic plasma. However please wait for the detailed reply.

Best wishes,

John Dawson (Arcam)

11. FCP FAN

FCP FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As allways, top marks for Arcam support :)

Best wishes,

FCP FAN

12. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, what was outcome?
    Is LO16 legal or not?
    thanks!