Arcam DV88 or HTPC?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pulsar, Jan 21, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Hello

I anyone can help me answer the question above, then please help.

I am looking to add a prog scan projector to my setup, and can't decide on what source to use. I already have a powerful PC, so to make it a HTPC would not cost very much, £200 max. I believe that this would allow me to output a prod scan pictue on NTSC and PAL, and at custom resolutions.

If I purchased the Arcam, I know that it produces PAL and NTSC prog scan, but am I correct that it would need further equipment to increase the resolution of the picture? I this is correct, what else is needed? I will only be using a relatively cheap projector like the Sanyo Z1.

All replies appreciated.

Rob

2. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have both the Arcam DV88 and a HTPC.

The DV88 does not do progressive scan, you will need either the DV88P or the DV88+.

Assuming you get the Progressive Scan version of the DV88 it will not do scaling whereas the HTPC will. The HTPC will also give a better picture quality, at the expense of ease-of-use.

3. saggio

saggio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just changed from a HTPC to the new DV88Plus (that does PAL Prog Scan). IMHO the Arcam is much better, quality and ease of use. I use it with a PIO MXE plasma though, not with a projector.

4. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Gary,

Sorry mate, I meant o say the 88+, doh. So what hardware do you have in your HTPC? What cable do you use to connect it to the projector? Would I notice the difference in quality on a 72" projected image from something like the Sanyo Z1?

Saggio,

I take your point, but I am deffo looking at a projector.

Cheers

Rob

5. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I built my HTPC specifically for DVD playback so it didn't need to have a particularly high spec. It's got a Radeon graphics card, pIII 600 chip 1gb HDD, 64mb ram, M-Audio 24/96 soundcard and a pioneer DVD ROM.

I'm not familiar with the Sanyo but a quick look at the spec says it's got a resolution of 964x544. If this is correct then you wont need to scale the image so in that respect the output resolution will be the same as a DV88+.

The bandwidth of a PC graphics card is much higher than the Progressive Scan circuitry in a DVD player so the picture should be sharper and free from ringing. Also PC software players don't suffer from the Chroma bug (Chroma Upsampling Error).

www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_2/dvd-benchmark-special-report-chroma-bug-4-2001.html

To use a HTPC the projector will need to have a facility to bypass it's internal de-interlacer to get pixel mapping otherwise the benefit of the HTPC will be lost, I don't know if the Sanyo does this.

For comparison purposes I use an 84" wide screen with a resolution of 1280/1024 * 764 with my HTPC. I use the DV88 feeding a Faroudja NRS scaler at 1280 * 764. In my system the HTPC has the better picture but I prefer to use the scaler for ease of use.