1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

arcam dv88 or denon 2800

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by filmman, Mar 17, 2002.

Tags:
  1. filmman

filmman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i would like your views on which player to buy,all my movies are region 1 and i will use non progressive component out with my toshiba 32".

2. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    entirely upto you, but for a 32" TV, both of these players are probably overkill.

doubt you'd see much difference in picture between them and a basic/ mid range Toshiba dvd player (210/510?) that has component out.

I've got a Denon 2800 but bought it with progressive scan & a projector in mind in the near future.

any intentions in this direction?

3. filmman

filmman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thanks for the advice,i do intend to upgrade to a plasma when funds permit . i did get a dv88 on loan for a day which i thought gave excellent picture and sound and i wondered if the denon would be as good as well as £300 cheaper!

4. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    there isnt much between them.. really depends on what you want to pay.

I'm sure you'll find Denon 2800s going cheaper the next few months, especially as the Denon 3800 comes out... I'd expect it to goto around £500-550.

Assuming the plasma can take ntsc progressive scan then its worth paying the extra for future-proofing... otherwise not much point.
    The Denon & Arcam will both do pal progressive scan but that's not what you asked for.

There are lots of other makes that will do R1 NTSC progressive scan for cheaper though.. Pioneer, Toshiba, Sony et al. you could probably pick up a pioneer 737 pretty cheapily now..., or a Toshiba 510 for approx £350.

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Toshiba 510 multi region (dvd audio) £272 at prcdirect, only doe's ntsc progressive, and the cd playback is supposed to suck, it is cheap though.

6. brad

brad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    i currently have both players i bought the 2800 first then i got hold of a dv88 on demo but the sound from the dv88 with cd is far superior to the 2800 and also the picure is top notch as well
    i was happy with the 2800 until i started listening to music through it and was not happy with the 2800 it will be heading back to my dealer along with the extra £300 as i think the dv88 is far better and region free from the start even though the remote is horrible to use