Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Arcam DV88 (not +), is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GavinH, Sep 22, 2003.

Tags:
  1. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am in the process of putting together a home cinema set up, and would like some advice about the DVD player. Currently all I have is the amp, the Sony STR-V555ES. I am planning to go for the Acoustic Energy Evo 3B speaker package, and most likely the Toshiba 36ZD26P. The TV choice obviously has a bearing on the DVD player in terms of progressive scan, which, correct me if I am wrong, the Toshiba is only capable of showing an NTCS progressive source…

The Arcam DV88+ player has not really been an option as it is a little out of my price range. The budget for the system is 3000 (I picked up the amp for 400, which was a pleasing find :).

However, a friend is selling his Arcam DV88 for 400 pounds, which could be a good option. Yet, based on the time at which he bought the machine, I am assuming that it is the DV88 and not the DV88+. I understand that this means it will not have progressive scan, and most likely will be weaker than the 88+ in other ways too.

My questions are as follows:

Is the original DV88 worth the 400, considering newer alternatives, some of which are discounted in shops/on the web?

Is the DV88+, which I can get hold of for 700 pounds worth it, considering that the TV I am most likely going to get only allows NTSC progressive scan (again, correct me if I am wrong)? Note this would involve me extending the budget :)

If the TV is going to cost around 1200, the speakers around 760, the amp is already 400, that leaves around 640 for the DVD player and cable – what is a good choice of DVD player?

Thanks for any help,

Gav

2. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    if it were me I would get a tv that accepts both pal and ntsc progresive. I also wouldn't get the dv88 for 400 as you can qutie often find second hand dv88+ for about 650.

CaM

3. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Gavin
    I think at £400 the DV88 is a little on the steep side, if you can pick one up for round about the £300 mark and your Display equipment doesnt allow progresive scan, then go for it. Have to say when I've seen a friends DV88 in action the picture was razor sharp, colours and contrast were excellent. :smashin:

4. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info - do you know whether or not the DV88 provides NTSC progressive scan?

Also, I have heard that the DV88+ has similar CD replay to the CD72 - is the original DV88 as good?

Thanks,

Gav

5. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    yes, both ntsc and pal progressive. The new dv88+ imo sits somewhere between the cd72 and the cd82. The dv88 sits somewhere behind the cd72.

hope that helps.

CaM

6. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cam,

do you mean that its the DV88+ the provides ntsc and pal progressive scan? I thought that the original DV88 did not provide pal prog. scan, but was unsure about NTSC...

cheers,

Gav

7. NedK

NedK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The DV88 definitely does not do PAL or NTSC progressive. The DV88 Plus does both.

8. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I tested a few DVD players in my system, with some other members of a local forum...

The original DV88 was better than all the others, except for the FMJ DV27, and the TAG, besides the ones mentioned, we only tested budget players, Sony, Toshiba, Onkyo, Pioneer, Aiwa, Vincent, + some funny brands, up to 500 euros...