1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam DV88 - early model - what's it worth?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by clived, Aug 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Due to my purchase of the Denon 2900, i have an Arcam DV88 for sale. It's about 2.5 years old and has been kept up to date from a firmware point of view. It is boxed and in as new condition, although the remote control does have an annoying habit of stopping working now and again until the DVD / CD button is pressed or the batteries are disconnected for a second... Not a problem if you have an Arcam AV amp of course...

I'm planning to either a) put this machine in the bedroom or b) sell it, but in order to decide, I'd like a clue as to what it's worth. The DV88's that have been for sale in the classified forum have been newer, so hard to gauge.

Thanks, Clive

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,701
    Compare it with what you can get these days. It doesn't have progressive scan or SACD or DVD audio, by my reckoning that makes it worth about £300 tops. Seriously, might sound ridiculous but things have moved on a lot since it came out. To be honest I don't even think I'd pay that for one!

Cheers,
    Andy.

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As it's up to date and in Mint condition, I would say it's worth around £400-£430.

I've sold two DV88's over the past year on eBay. Both were a similar age to yours and it went for £510, the other was newer and it went for £490 I think.

SACD & DVD-A are not a requirement for everyone and you just need to find teh right buyer. I wouldn't sell for £300 as the DV88 outperforms similarly priced machines by a long long way, both in CD replay and interlaced video.

4. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks guys.

So, if you were selling one today, where would you put it for maximum value - AV Forums or eBay? I'd had happy dealing on both before, and was hoping to sell on AVF, but not if it means losing significant cash. I guess I could offer it here first and then if no-one is interested, withdraw and take it to eBay...

Cheers, Clive

5. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    £300 is far to little.. groundy is about right.. the sound quality on the ,machine Rocks.. and kills any similiar priced competition..you'll sell it on ebay.. you may here.. though its a tougher crowd alot of whom are into very specific stuff..

Good luck.. If I had the dosh I would buy it for my bedroom :)

Matt