Arcam DV88 DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kain, Jun 17, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Kain

Kain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone seen the Arcam DV88 DVD player? If so, how is it? How is the audio and video performance? How does it compare to the Sony DVP-NS900V?

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The Arcam is the next step up in both audio and video performance. It is also upgradable. It is also twice the price so is a bit like comparing oranges and lemons (that has to be the Sony;) ). The 900 is very popular with some memers here however and does this SACD thing. Speaking as a SACD owner I wouldn't worry to much about that feature however. Other players like the Toshiba 900 series are perhaps a closer comparison to the Arcam and the Toshiba 510 against the Sony 900.

3. Kain

Kain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks.

How much does the Arcam DV88 cost anyway? :D

4. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's £999 or £1,299 with the progressive output board. It's unlikely that you'll get any sort of discount on Arcam unless it's an ex-demo model.

I've got the DV27 (FMJ) which is the next model up. DVD performance is superb, especially with the PAL and NTSC progressive output. CD quality is OK, about the same quality as a £500 player.

5. Kain

Kain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks.

But the audio and video quality of the Arcam DV88 is better than the Sony DVP-NS900V's, right? Is the Arcam worth the extra $ over the Sony DVP-NS900V?

6. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the Audio side of things, a friend of mine has a A85 amp and B&W CDM-1NT speakers, and he did a brief audition with the DV88, CD72 and CD92 (this was before they got the new cd-text compatible transport).

To his ears the DV88 was a slightly worse than the CD72, and the CD92 was head and shoulders better than that.

I wasn't present, and you may conclude differently!

hope that helps though.

7. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think the only way to be sure is to arrange a demo - it's down to your own personal tastes rather than everyone else's. Basically, there's no such thing as a good CD/DVD player - if it's top quality you want, keep them separate.

I heard the Linn Genki when trying the FMJ and it was significantly better..... but it is £1,000 for just a CD

8. Kain

Kain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks.

But when I said "audio and video performance" I really meant DVD performance.

9. j0hn_r

j0hn_r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DV88, and to be honest its not worth the money.

As a DVD player its good, but in my opinion no better than most £500 players.

As a CD player its very average.

It uses the same el'cheapo drive mechanism that can be found in many budget dvd players, and it shows in its operation.

It has also been plagued with all sorts of problems, and seems to require a software upgrade every few months.

Dont let the Arcam publicity machine fool you into thinking the DV88 is answer for both DVD & CD. You'll be better off buying separate DVD and CD players.