Arcam DV88/DV88+ ???

gilesm

Standard Member
Reaction score
Dear all

I'm struggling at the moment. My Panasonic A160 is about dead so I need to replace it soon. I've had my eye on Arcam DV88 for a while but have been putting it off, waiting for DVD-A capability.

I've got a Loewe Acconda TV, so as far as I know the Prog Scan of the DVD88+ will be useless (is this the case?). But I am as I say interested in DVD-A.

A few questions about this, will DV88 be upgradable to DVD-A - I spoke to an Arcam guy at Stuff last month who recommended I went for the DV88+ now rather than DV88. I don't really need the prog scan - so do I really need to - has anything else changed inside?

Also just realised that the DV88+ is selling for £1300 as apposed to DV88 at £999. Add to this an additional £200 for DVD-A upgrade from DV88+, this takes the plus to very close to the FMJ DV27 at £1500.

Also the guy at Stuff said £200 for upgrade from DV88+ to DVD-A, will this be the same for the DV88.

Or finally should I just wait and see what the DV89 will bring?

Thanks a lot

AFAIK the DV89 will be the DV88 with the prog scan board and the dvd-a boards as standard ... not sure what else will be changed ...

Graham

That's what I'd originally thought, but went to my local Arcam dealer in Colchester on Saturday and he said it was £1299. Plus just had a quick look on the web and everyone seemed to be selling them for £1299

If it is £999 then thats pretty much solved my dilemma

Thanks

sure you are not thinking of the dv88p , the dv88 with progressive board ???

the 88+ is £999, seems like a genuine upgrade, I would get the + at this stage, or if you get the DV88 look for a used one, they can be picked up from £450-£600 odd depending where you look, the for sale board on here is a good place to start.

There is a way to get progressive on the Aconda but it either involves getting a player from China, a PC or component->VGA transcoder and a player that does some scaling - and you need the VGA card

1. Get the VGA card fitted and the TV can accept 480p signals (NTSC Prog Scan) using that (also can accept 576p - PAL prog scan if you have a Q2500 chassis) - the problem is that the zoom functions don't work so 4:3 and nonanamorphic stuff gets stretched or anamorphic doesn't get stretched automatically - you can stretch it manually though

2. The Xindak player - go to the DVD forum on www.avsforum.com and search on xindak - there's a thread about it - it has a VGA port, can convert PAL to NTSC and has some scaling features so meets those needs - is tricky to get and has some drawbacks

3. Use a PC with a TV in card to scale and deinterlace the svid output of your current player then output it to the TV - costly and a pain to set up - it's what I'm going to try. It can prog scan all your devices though (consoles, tivo, STB) - or use the PC as a DVD player with a DVD-ROM drive

4. Get a component->VGA transcoder and get a player with PS components and some scaling facilities (I think some Malatas do this) and do it that way

Phil

Who is selling the DV88+ for £999? All the ads I've seen say £1300! A bit of a price hike. And if it is supposed to be £999, how the hell are they getting away with it?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here? The + is the model with PAL and NTSC prog scan? Yes or no?

Got my 88+ from audio t and it was on 899 (maybe cos I got the black one - who knows?).

Anyway 1300 seems like a bit much!

OK/////

Orignal DV88 £999
Original DV88 with Progressive scan update board £1299

NEW DV88plus (with no add on board but with PAL/NTSC prog as standard and ready for DVD-a plug inboard)
£999

If you've bought a DV88PLUS for £1299 I'd go back and ask for a refund!

Gordon

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom