1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam DV88+ drive problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SimonA, Feb 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. SimonA

SimonA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has any owners experienced problems with the drive mechanism on this player.
    DVD playing is no problem, but with some CD's (three that I've come across so far) when you load them the drive makes this god awful noise as though the disc is rattling around inside.

This is the second machine in 6 weeks, (the other had a different drive problem)

Anybody else had this problem, or is the drive so sensitive that it doesn't like some CDs.

I don't think a £1000 player should do this.

Thoughts?

Simon

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I can't comment directly on your problem but I wanted to say that price doesn't seem to help with drive noise.

My Toshiba 520E is much noisier playing CDs than my Wharfedale 750S bought for £90 from Tesco. It is quieter for DVDs though, go figure.

3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Yep had that sort of.. I am on my third drive... first one lasted a year.. started making funny noises and then stopped reading dvd's at all..

Second one lasted 3 months and then would randomly not read discs and you had to keep opening/closing the draw to get it to read the disc.

Not had any problems reading CD's though.. latest drive is very quiet and no problems so far.

If your machine is so new I would get it changed at the dealer, else arrange with them or arcam to get it replaced with a new drive.

My player has made some god awful noises when the drives were dying.. I think its the one component which is not designed by Arcam...(and one which they probably have little control over..personally I think they should complain about the manufacturers quality control :) )

One last thing worth trying is ensuring you are on the latest drive firmware (LT76 if you are on a LT drive i think). When I got the machine back I started watching Minority Report and it stuttered and froze before crashing the machine. I re-applied the update disc and then it played fine all the way through.. it may help with the CD's though it will not if the drive is knackered.

HTH

Cheers

Matt

4. thuur

thuur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to be posting in an old thread, but my DV88 had "the rattle" as well. On power up and loading discs the most horrible cheap sound was audible.. Here's how I fixed it:

You'll need:
    - very small philipshead screwdriver
    - very small flathead
    - some Torx screwdrivers
    - non acid grease (waterbased Vaseline will do)
    - cleaning alcohol (drugstore 70% or 90%)
    - a few cotton tips
    - a bit of patience and a little self confidence

How to:
    Unplug the unit, disconnect everything. Place it on a firm table or something. To avoid static discharge: touch the unit with one hand and touch the central heating (unpainted part) or earth lead of a socket with your other hand.

Open the unit using your Torx set. Remove the lid. Unplug the powerlead from the drive (follow the white wires towards the power supply board and unplug it there if the connector won't come out easy). You may want to mark the plug and the socket with a marker if you're unsure about the position. Unplug the IDE cable at the processor board.

If you have an old unit: unscrew the four screw holding the drive in place. If you have a newer unit with 'silentblocks' (rubber holders), flip the unit upside down and start unscrewing the four screws, but remove only two of them! Then, hold the drive with your other hand as you remove the final two screws. Now flip the unit back and place it on the table. Remove the drive and the cables.

I like working with open drawers. Push the white piece of plastic towards the back of the drive:

[​IMG]

Unscrew the four top screws:

[​IMG]

Now remember: the lens is visible, DON'T touch it with your finger(s). Flip the unit upside down and loosen the circuit board:

[​IMG]

You will have to unplug four connectors, as marked here:

[​IMG]

The two on the right have to come out straight up (use dosed force), as well as the one on the left. The "middle" one is a bit tricky. There is a little black holder that holds the flatcable into the socket. If you push the left and right side of this black thingie a little back (I'm talking 1 to 1,5 millimeters here!) towards the direction where the flatcable comes from (on the picture: to the left) the flatcable comes loose. Now remove the flatcable.

Now, you're looking at the cause of the rattle. The two screws aren't holding the white toothed strip in the right place. First, remove the little grey 'spring' with a small flathead screwdriver (marked blue). Be careful to catch it when it comes loose! This can cost you a lot of time looking for it.... Remove the white toothed gear. Now loosen the two screws (do NOT remove!). Move the laser unit a little towards the left if you need some free play. Just move it with a finger. Push the left side of the white strip downwards (on the picture), hold it in that position and fasten the screws.

[​IMG]

The problem is that the strip seems to disalign by itself. When the laser unit is in the starting position the left end of the strip has just enough freeplay to allow the toothed gear to 'rub' over the teeth. Ergo, causing the rattling noise.

Put the gear back on, and push the grey spring in place. Make sure the spring is in place by rotating the gear. Again, make sure you catch it if it might come off.

Put the circuit board back on. Plug in the connectors (the middle one should go straight in without force, push the black thingie back in place). The only concern is the position of the blue switch (this detects the position of the drawer). When the drawer is fully open, this is how it should look:

[​IMG]

Fasten the screws. Now, for the final step: give your drive a nice tune up. Clean the grease from the two silver bars (that allow the laser unit to move). Apply new grease, but just a little. Also, apply new grease to the closing mechanism, shown below in red. Again, don't over do it! Another rule: do NOT grease parts that are not factory-greased! Remove the little belt and clean it with alcohol. Clean the pulleys as well with a cotton tip (first with alcohol, then dry). Put back the belt. Clean the rubber ring on the thing that holds your discs, usually there is some debris on here causing discs to vibrate more as they should.

[​IMG]

Finally, clean the lens. Wet a cotton tip with alcohol and gently rub the lens in all directions. Do not apply a lot of pressure! Now, rub the lens dry with the other side of the cotton tip. Put the top cover back on and install in reverse order.

Enjoy your serviced Arcam!

Regards,
    Arthur

edit: of course, this will void your warranty and all is at your own risk :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  5. unklemunkle

unklemunkle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

This post came up in a Google search. I have an Arcam DV88. It loads and plays DVDs fine but sometimes won't load up CDs. It makes a few loading noises but then comes up with 'no disc' on the display. I've tried cleaning the lens with a cotton bud and suitable cleaner and thought I'd cured it but no joy. Do you think it would be worth trying this method out first or should I simply replace the lens available off Ebay: Arcam DV88 DV-88 DSL-710A DSL710A New Replacement Laser

Or should I do both! Am fairly competent and have the tools but I'm certainly no electrical engineer so a little wary!

Also need a bit more clarity on the pushing back lens section of the above. A bit more detail if possible. Appreciate this post is a few years old now but hopefully someone out there can help - if not and, hopefully, Mr Thuur!

6. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

How did you get on fixing your CD probs on the arcam as I have the same with mine now?

cheers Gary

7. unklemunkle

unklemunkle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gary,

I am pleased to say that my DV-88 is working perfectly and has done since I repaired it. It was a bit fiddly but took about an hour to replace the laser unit to fix properly. You just need a micro screwdriver set and some torx fittings (to remove the cover), a bit of time and patience to complete the job.

Mine would load up DVDs fine but wouldn't load up/scan CDs all the time. Definitely a laser issue. These are available on Ebay here: Arcam DV88 DV-88 DSL-710A DSL710A New Replacement Laser

Must admit, I was sceptical at first but was amazed when it worked fine. Handle everything with care and you'll be fine (if doing yourself). The most fiddly part was plugging in the ribbon connector to the laser. Other than that, it's nuts and bolts really. If doing it yourself, take the lid off and study everything carefully. I was warned (on another forum) not to touch it and you must be a qualified engineer etc but, as replacing a complete unit, I couldn't see the problem and now it works perfectly!

If you live near Sussex, you could leave it with me and I can do it for you for a small fee now that I know what to do!

All the best.

8. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,
    thx for your reply and offer to help, unfortunately not close to sussex but kind offer. The replacement is there any soldering (not my strong point!) but that was the one you used?

cheers Garyc

9. unklemunkle

unklemunkle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are two anti-static blobs of solder that you'll need to remove from the new laser assembly before fitting otherwise it won't work. It's fairly obvious when you open it up from the packaging. Soldering certainly isn't my strong point but they come off fairly easily with a little flux and a gentle scraping motion from a hot soldering iron. If you search 'remove anti-static solder blob' on YouTube you'll see that it's not too hard. Some units have just one blob, some two. The replacement I had had two blobs of solder.

These just protect the laser's circuit from static damage. They are very sensitive. Make sure you touch the casing and the floor to dispense of any static you may have in your fingers once you've removed the anti-static blobs otherwise you'll wreck the new laser. Don't remove the solder blobs until you're absolutely ready to install the new laser. From memory, you remove the top of the CD tray and a little of the alignment mechanism to the right (as you look at the right of the unit). Manually slide the old unit to the front so you know the exact position it will be in, unclip and remove the ribbon connector. The other bits/screws to remove should present themselves and be fairly obvious.

It's a little different to the pics shown in this thread. You can access everything from the top and it wasn't as daunting as I first expected.

As I say, I am no engineer by any means. I just laid everything out logically and took my time. It's not a difficult job. You just need to have a bit of confidence and you'll be fine. Effectively, I fixed my unit for under £15. An engineer would want £80 just to open it up to have a look so you've got nothing to lose really!

I love the quality of the sound coupled with an Arcam Alpha 8 amp. Both units are like new and they sound great through KEF iQ5s floor-standers!

10. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

thx again - is yours an dv88+?

cheers

11. unklemunkle

unklemunkle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, just a DV88 with the progressive scan board. I purchased it off Ebay for silly money. It was £1,300 new (with the progressive scan board).

The seller refunded me half the money as it was faulty. The unit is mint in every way and there was not even any dust inside it! So, the whole thing only cost me about £50 once repaired. Ridiculous! I couldn't get anywhere near close to this quality with a brand new product. The same for the Alpha 8 amp. I got that for about £70 and it looks like new!

With the KEF speakers, the whole system cost me about £260 and was about 10 times that amount when new. Very lucky but I was very careful too!

I don't really know how to use the board though. Have tried the three coloured leads into the TV but no joy so just use the DVD player via SCART. It's mainly for CDs/music anyway so not really that bothered. Not sure if the DV88 is any different but the Ebay item should tell you if it's compatible. When it came through (the chap was a very good seller by the way) the laser unit was identical in every single way which was great.

12. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    don't want to remember what I paid for mine!!

have emailed the seller - will let you know how I get on

thx again

cheers

13. unklemunkle

unklemunkle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck - just edited my last post with some more info. There are bargains out there but you have to be very, very careful.

14. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,883
    Desoldering braid is easier and less fiddly than trying to use flux.

15. unklemunkle

unklemunkle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very true but I didn't have any but still had no problems. Care and patience!

16. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    thx have ordered one so will see when it turns up

17. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    replacement laser all fitted and CD's now playing, forgotten just how good this sounds

just wanted to say thank you for all your helps

18. unklemunkle

unklemunkle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent news - another one saved. Quite an easy and cheap fix too. Glad it's working. An excellent player...

19. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    you forget just how good these are - changed my system around so have the arcam as a dedicated cd player