Arcam DV88+ Availability & Pricing?

Oasis-GasPanic

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm after one of these players to go with my new plasma but have found my local dealers either have now sock or are too expensive (£1300 sounds about £2/400 off to me). Can anyone point me in the direction of either an Etraider or dealer anywhere near to the Hounslow(SW London) area.

Cheers,

Arcam products are not officially sold mail-order so you will struggle to find this online. You should not be paying any more than the RRP of £999 though. The DV88 Plus should be available for most/all Sevenoaks outlets at this price so check and see if there is one near you. You can find the store areas and contact numbers at:

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.com

:).

Cheers Groundy,
I'm pretty sure one of the dealers that quoted me £1300 was sevenoaks (in Kingston), Strange :confused: .

Regards,

Perhaps they were confused :confused:. In the latest edition of What HiFi, Sevenoaks have the DV88 Plus advertised at £999.95 :). This should be the price in all their stores.

Sorry for sounding dumb but whats the difference between the 'P' & '+' model. I thourght the + model was the newer Pal PS enabled version of the cheaper P model.

Regards,

I 've asked the same question - there does appear to be a £1300 model (a third model) and I'm equally confused by the 'P' and '+' issue. Is the £1300 the PAL qand NTSC progressive scan version?? ,

The differences are as follows:

Arcam DV88P

Arcam's standard DV88 player, factory-fitted (or upgraded) with the Progressive Scan board (based on the Sil503 chip). Offers NTSC progressive Scan (and PAL via hack).

The DV88 was/is £999.95 RRP and the PS upgrade is around £300, hence the £1,300 price quotes on this model.

Arcam DV88+

Arcam's replacement for the DV88 and DV88P with PAL & NTSC Progressive Scan out of the box.

The DV88+ has an RRP of £999.95 and has now superceded the standard DV88.

Is the DV88P more expensive because it uses Zoran Vaddis 4 for MPEG and Silicon Image SiI503 for deintelacing, whereas the DV88+ uses the built-in deinterlacing in the Zoran Vaddis 5 chipset. i.e. higher number of (expensive) components.

Latest DV27 on the other hand, uses Zoran Vaddis 5 for MPEG decoding and then uses Silicon Image SiI504 for deinterlacing via BT656 signal.

Zoran Vaddis 5

StooMonster

The DV88 & DV88P use the Zoran Vaddis III (not 4) chipset.

I don't think there is any intentional reason for the price difference between the DV88P and the DV88+. I assume the DV88+ is a direct replacement for the DV88 and as such the DV88 will be out of production soon (if not already). Therefore the DV88+ is retailing for the same price as it's predecessor, the DV88.

The reason why the DV88P is £300 more expensive is simply because it requires an additional upgrade (including labour costs etc) to enable Progressive Scan. It just so happens that this functionality is built in to the DV88+ via the Zpran Vaddis V chipset, allowing it to be sold at the pricepoint of the standard DV88.

Perhaps the standard DV88 should only be £700 now to keep it in line with the DV88+ but I don't feel it's any lesser of a DVD player. If you don't need Progressive Scan, the DV88 is still worth £999.95 IMO. If you do need Progressive Scan, buy the DV88+. If you shop around though, you can find a few places selling the DV88 in and around the £700 mark. With that, you always have the ability to upgrade to Progressive Scan or even to DV88+ spec I'm told so at the end of the day, you're not really saving or losing anything.

John Dawson could probably have put it better than that though ;).

I think my local dealer may be doing DV88P with progressive board for £1000 on the last of his stock.
Soundcraft Hi-Fi, Kent

Zoran Vaddis 4, was a typo when replacing roman numerals with integers. Honest! :blush:

StooMonster (who loves his new DV27)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom