Arcam DV88+ audio delay feature

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by taimur, Mar 2, 2003.

Tags:
  1. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see in the downloadable instruction manual for the Arcam DV88+ that the audio delay feature is "not applicable" at the moment (in the audio set up). Does anyone know if this will be enabled in a future software/ hardware upgrade? Thanks.

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The correct audio delay is automatically applied when using PS on the DV88 Plus.

The menu line refers to when the optional Silicon Image board is used in the player. Then since this operates in parallel with an interlaced output, you have to decide whetehr or not you need an audio delay dependent on which output you are using.

HTH and sorry that's not clear in the manual.

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much indeed for the informative reply.

As you can appreciate, the choice of AV amp I buy would depend on your answer! From what you say, there shouldn't be any lip sync problems with the DV88+ and that's very reassuring.

Taimur

4. ijwoo1

ijwoo1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't be so sure. It could be different for the DV88+ with internal PS, but for some reason Arcam decided that 50mS is all that was needed to compensate for the PS processing using the add-on PS board. Where as it is generally agreed that 80mS, possibly more, is actually needed depending on the rest of the setup.

I have a DV88+, albeit with the additional PS board, and no way is 50mS enough. I ended up upgrading my AV processor to get additional control over the audio delay.

Ofcourse it also depends on your sensitivity to lip-sync. I personally cannot tolerate it.

5. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't tolerate lip sync problems either.

I think I'm going to have no option other than to buy a Denon 3803. I haven't heard it, but I can't afford anything else with master audio delay. I have to ask myself - is there any point in auditioning it when it has this killer feature?!

Any other solutions to lip sync seem to complex. I'll probably programme two macros in my remote (as suggested by someone else) to increase the delay by 50ms and decrease the delay by 50ms

6. ijwoo1

ijwoo1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might want to check the audio delay options on the 3803, I seem to recall they were a bit limited. I can't remember if it was the actual amount of delay or whether it only applied to a certain set of inputs. Either way I know it was no good for me.

7. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What processor do you have to sort out your lip sync problems? Were you able to add the delay feature as an upgrade did you say?

I'm not going to have lip sync problems for about a year or so, as I slowly build up my system, so upgrades to sort out lip sync issues are an attractive option to me.

Taimur

8. DJP

DJP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    taimur, as a happy 3803 owner allow me to elaborate a little on the audio delay feature. It is programmable in steps of 1ms from 0 to 200ms. Different delays can be set for different inputs. So, for example, you could set a delay of 80ms when using the DVD and 100ms when using Sky+.

This is not obvious from the manual or the menu but believe me it does work this way.

Sonically, I can recommend the 3803 and the video upconversion feature is quite good as well although it does struggle a little if the source has a poor sync - as may be the case with some VCR's.

I admit that I am a tad biased as I own one but the audio delay option has really helped my viewing experience. The only issue with it is that it is not a simple one button push to change the delay time. Macros help but as you have to enter the setup mode, and cursor down 6 times there is a little delay before getting to the setup menu. This is really only an issue with some Sky channels as their delays do seem to vary quite a bit on occasion.:rolleyes:

I hope that the above helps

Derek

9. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply - it was very helpful. Someone suggested that you assign two macros to audio delay: one to increase and the other to decrease the audio delay by a set amount (eg 25 or 50ms). That way, you can just press a button to increase delay and if you go a little too high then press another button and it goes down a touch.

I'm sure when I get round to hearing the amp it will sound very good for my tastes. I'm used to playing music through an old Pioneer midi system which no longer plays CD's (it just spits them all out!) so I have had to link up my computer to the aux input. I've ripped my CD's onto my PC and that's the only way I can listen to my own music at the moment!

Taimur

10. DJP

DJP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry Taimur, I was obviously unclear with regards to the macro issue. The problem is that if macro's are programmed into the 3803 remote using the CALL buttons then these are slow to run. i.e. it is actually faster to press the specific buttons on the remote control than it is to run the macro.

As the audio delay function is buried in the system setup menu there are quite a few key presses required to get to it (7 up or 7 down to get to the audio delay option). I think that it will take some time, regardless as to the remote used, if these have to be individual IR codes. Perhaps a Pronto is faster but I don't have one of these yet.

The other issue is that you have to increment the number of milliseconds. In other words, the macro would have to have 50 key presses to increment the delay by 50ms. This obviously would take ages. It's fast when done manually as you get an auto repeat so I'm looking into ways to try and get an auto repeat programmed into another learning remote I have. If I can get this to work then it may solve some of the issues of getting to the audio delay menu itself as well.

Having said all of the above, I've sort of settled down on around 100ms for Sky+ and I've noticed that I've not been changing it that much over the last few days. So perhaps this is all overkill.

Derek

11. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for clarifying that. Like you say, it's probably necessary to set delay for each different AV source only once. The Denon seems the best option for avoidance of lip sync problems by a large financial margin.