Arcam DV88 another post

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tracey, Apr 23, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    like many people on this forum I am thinking of buying the DV88, I have a Sony 525 at the moment but I have been thinking about upgrading for a while and the Arcam is just what I'm looking for, good as a CD player, CDR AND CDRW replay, plays RCE discs, multi region out of the box etc. However, for £1,000 I want to be sure that it will be a major improvement on my Sony for picture AND sound quality, but I am mainly interested in excellent CD playback. I am currently using a Marantz DR6000 recordable CD player as my playback machine but would the Arcam be an improvement on the Marantz? I do intend to get a DV88 on loan at some point for a home demo, but I would still be interested to hear people's comments and I must admit I am put off a bit by the fact that there have been so many problems, it drives me mad when I have to take things back time after time to be repaired. :rolleyes:

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I am very pleased with my DV88 (apart from the CD playing problems, and the suspect missing screws from the back casing - it looks like the casing was taken off and replaced) - I did pay considerably less than £1000 for it (Sevenoaks Xmas sale).
    At a £1000, unless space is an issue, I would have to consider the following: I compared the Arcam with the £650 Pioneer. Picture quality equaled the Arcam. So the Pioneer could be purchasef along with a very good CD player (e.g. the Arcam DIVA) for the same or very similiar price.
    The only other advantage the Arcam would offer is the ability to upgrade to DVD-A - but then how long is it going to take for DVD-A to take off?