Arcam DV88, Am I wasting my money?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by highlanders, May 17, 2002.

Tags:
  1. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hi all
    I am thinking of buying the above for dvd and for playing CDs, my current dvd player a U.S. 606 pioneer lacks it I think in the music department. But due to a lack of space I plan to run it with a yamaha DSP-A2 I really don't have the space for a seperate amp, is it worth me going along this route? I plan to have a listen to the player next week.

James

2. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, the Arcam will make a BIG difference, but I think the Yamaha isn't the most musically satisfying amp around. You might try a Denon, Arcam, Rotel or Marantz receiver instead. All these brands also make axcellent DVD-players, which sound good with CDs.

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    James

Hi - the Arcam is a great combi player with very good picture and excellent CD replay. If you after the best CD sound with a very good DVD player into the bargain, the Arcam is top notch.

There is a lot of praise on this forum for the Tosh 900e, which to be honest is probably a better video player, but not quite as good on CD replay. At £699 it really is a bargain for videp, but depends if you want the extra CD quality from the Arcam.

Although the Arcam is good, it may be a little wasted on the A2 as this isnt that great in stereo. Personally, if you go for the Arcan DV88m I would then look at getting an Arcam or Denon a
    amp as these are often good at both movies and music.

Have fun demoing ;)

JJ

4. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I thought that might be the case. I'll have to have a good think.

James.