1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ARCAM DV79 OR PIONEER DV-868AVi-S

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by highlander_777, Aug 26, 2004.

Tags:
  1. highlander_777

highlander_777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anybody got any thoughts?

or

Does anybody have either of the above units?. If so, any feedback. :thumbsup:

2. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +341
    what's cheapest prices for each?

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've got the DV79 (it's the first bit of mid-high end kit I've bought) and I think it's a fantastic bit of kit. PAL progressive through component to my plasma looks stunning and is visible MUCH better than my previous player (a Yamaha S540).

As an added bonus, it's a very good CD player so I'd definately recommend it.

John

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I have the 868 and think it is utterly superb. Picture via HDMI is just amazing with so much clarity and detail it is unreal.

I really think they are both so good that it will likely need to come down to other things like aesthetics and whether you want the iLink ports etc. Oh and of course price. Picture wise I reckon they are both at the pinnacle of DVD playback.

[edited for spelling :suicide: ]

5. JES

JES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Highlander,

I agree with Messiah here, in terms of picture quality both are incredible. I couldn't really decide which was better on that department when I was demoing them. In terms of sound, I feel Arcam is slightly better. It all depends, though, on what you want to take out of your DVD. If it's mainly for movies, then go for the one you find cheaper. If you're interested (like me) to use it for CD playback, then go for the Arcam (like John recommended).

HTH,

6. highlander_777

highlander_777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for all the feedback. In summary it seems to boil down to cost + how much do I want to listen to music as the ARCAM is better on sound. On a different note, my plasma does not support HDMI which it v annoying as I had to buy a 37" as a 42" was too big. I have the new Sony 37 Alis plasma and the pic is great. All I wanted to do is get the best DVD player to hook up to it

7. tekmonkey

tekmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    definitely arcam then, the pioneers only trump card is the scaled ouput on hdmi, on component they are fairly similiar but arcam is smoother, if you're not going to use hdmi then dont even consider the pioneer, unless SACD matters but thats another story (for those who haven't heard Sony Japan are beginning to write it off as bad r&d!)