1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam DV79 or DV29 with Infocus 5700

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Chromite, Apr 27, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Chromite

Chromite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm in Perth, Western Australia and have an Infocus 5700 pj with a Denon 3910 (AUD2,000) dvd player. I am thinking of moving to either a DV79 (AUD3,000) or the DV29 (AUD4,800) and would appreciate your advice on the following:

a) Apart from the future benefit of the 1.1 version of the HDMI audio output of the DV29, is there a significant increase in PQ with the 29 over the 79 (or even over the 3910) considering the price differences? CD playback won't be used but DVD-A will.

b) Are there any PQ or compatability issues using the DV79 or 29 with the IF5700 using the HDMI output (eg not passing blacker than black, macroblocking, chroma bugs etc)?

c) What is the best way to connect HDMI to the 5700's M1 input for PQ? I already have the Infocus DVI-D to M1 10m cable to match with an HDMI/DVI adaptor, or should I get an HDMI to HDMI cable with an HDMI/M1 adaptor as recommended by Infocus?

d) Most of our DVDs are PAL discs. Will the 5700 accept a 576i signal from the DV79/29 HDMI via its M1 input? If so, is the PQ better using a 576i or 576p signal?

Regards,

Terry

2. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi Terry,

A couple of months ago, I purchased a 5700 to go with my DV29, which I've had since Nov '04. I have to say, the picture is quite stunning :D . Saying that, when I got the DV29 last year, it did make my 18 month old Sony RPTV look like a plasma :smashin: (ok, a bit of an exageration, but the picture was significantly improved with DVD playback from my 5 year old Sony DVD player).

I haven't noticed any of the problems you describe above using the 5700. I am connecting it via a HDMI-HDMI Chord 10m cable, with HDMI-M1 adaptor, and it is good, but it should be at £200 :eek: . With regard to watching the DV29 through HDMI on 576P or 576i, I don't know if I am missing something, but my set-up doesn't give me the option to turn off progressive under the HDMI output on the DV29. All I can say is that it is a better picture than my cable TV 576i image over component (through a JS Tech RGB 2 YUV converter).

As for whether the DV79/29 is better than your 3910, I cannot say, as I have not audtioned them side by side. I know you probably already know this ;) but the only way to tell is to demo them yourself. Given the prices of the 3910 compared to DV79, I guess you would be hard pressed to tell the difference, but you may notice a slight difference on the DV29. But price isn't everything, I plumped for the DV29 coz of performance, future(ish) proof, looks and build quality (not that it matters as it sits behind the screen now!), and I had the spare cash at the time to go that bit extra for the DV29.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Andy

3. Chromite

Chromite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response. I'm just about certain to go your way with the DV29 and using the HDMI-HDMI cable.

Appreciate the advice.

Regards,

Terry