Arcam DV79 or Denon 3910 with Infocus Screenplay 5700?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gkoumba, Oct 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. gkoumba

gkoumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have an Infocus Screenplay 5700 projector (1024x576, Faroudja DCDi: FLI 2310, DVI input) and I would like to buy a DVI or HDMI equipped DVD player to use it exclusively with this projector (only via DVI or HDMI). I intend to use the player mostly with PAL movies in 576p/576i (and some NTSC movies in 480p/480i) to match my projector’s native resolution and avoid extensive scaling. After a lot of thought and based on both owner opinions that I read on various forums, magazine reviews, and the excellent benchmarks by Kris Deering I have narrowed it down to the Arcam DV79 and the Denon 3910 (they cost the same where I live).
    Taking into consideration the deinterlacing deficiencies that the Arcam showed on the Secrets Forum June 2004 benchmark, and the alleged Macroblocking problems of the Denon 3910, I am leaning towards the Arcam. I find the layer change delay of the Arcam annoying, but the possibility of Macroblocking by the Denon sounds more alarming, since I don’t know to what extend it may manifest itself on this projector. I am thinking that I could circumvent the Arcam’s not ideal deinterlacer by feeding a 480i/576i signal to the Screenplay 5700 and letting the Faroudja chip on the projector do the deinterlacing and scaling.
    On the other hand, if the 3910 does not exhibit Macroblocking via DVI or HDMI at 480p/576p on the screenplay 5700, it is surely a clear winner. I apologize for saying so much, but I am a newbie in the world of home theater, and would be grateful for any advice by any of the more experienced forum members, or anyone having a similar setup, or experience with the Arcam DV79, and the Denon 3910.

Thanks,
    George

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I have a 3910 and despite testing on certain disks cannot see any MB. I have an Optoma H77 connected via HDMI and feeding 720p. Remember as well that even if you do see it it will only be on certain disks and certain scenes, whereas poor deinterlacing will be visible 100% of the time and the layer change on every single disk (assuming they are dual layer).

Just my opinion :D

3. BackBeat

BackBeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a Denon A11 fed via DVI to a Screenplay 5700. The macroblocking is certainly noticeable using this combination but only on poor discs. The opening title sequence on Tomorrow Never Dies, which is a poor tansfer in my view, where James Bond is viewed down the gun barrel springs to mind. There is quite a lot of macroblocking visible. On exactly the same sequence on Die Another Day the blocking is much less significant.
    Overall I find this a minor irritation and only occasionally evident and adjustments can be made to reduce it further ( I use "film 2" mode). More visible to me are the rainbows from the Screenplay which again are a minor issue I can tolerate. My point being that, the rainbows will be evident whatever DVD player you eventually decide upon and relatively speaking I would say are a bigger issue than the occasionally noticeable macroblocking.

4. gkoumba

gkoumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,
    I have auditioned both the Arcam DV79 and the Denon 3910, and have decided to go with the Arcam. Everything was fine over HDMI toDVI until I tried to connect the player to my projector via component, and could not get a picture. The player is locked in RGB video mode and doesn’t allow me to output Y Pb Pr video from the component video output and this is probably causing the problem. My firmware version is 5.2. I hope a newer firmware would solve the problem. I will post my opinion about the Arcam and the DV79 Vs 3910 in the Arcam forum in the next couple of days.

Thanks again,
    George