arcam dv79 or 3910 denon

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by malariaboy, Dec 11, 2004.

Tags:
  1. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    any help from owners of above machines welcome , cant make up my mind

2. ajkean

ajkean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering the same, but was told today by a very good source to wait a short time, as Denon will be bringing out a brand new player that is supposed to be the absolute...

At the moment I like the look of the FMJ DV29 but on being told this today I'm going to wait and see!

I currently have a Denon DVD 2800 which has been superb but would now like to upgrade to the latest technology.

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    But that new denon(A1xv) is gonna cost a fair bit, price wise inline with the excellent onkyo sp1000.

so somewhere between £1800-£2500.

Pic wise there next to no difference between the two machines mentioned(DV79 and 3910) but for me the extra features of the denon won, however the Arcams ability to send out an interlaced signal over HDMI is a bonus if you use an external scaler. i was able to home Demo both units and i think the Denon has the edge, but its close.

4. ajkean

ajkean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the price is something I wasn't aware of, but I think I will make mine last as long as poss before upgrading. I want to get some money's worth out it first. I might even consider a separate CD player!

Scalers are something I need to know more about???

5. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    After much auditioning, I chose the Arcam DV79. There wasn't much in it at all and I can't say that I'd've been disappointed with either the Denon 3910, Arcam DV79 or Pioneer 868. They are all very good players. I felt the Arcam had the edge ultimately but that was after quite a while and several hours trying them all out at home.

The ability to output interlaced over HDMI as Gandley pointed out was also a factor as I'm after a pj next and this would keep my options open if I want/need a scaler!