Quantcast

Arcam DV78 Problem?

Mandss

Standard Member
Hi guys,:hiya: I bought an ex demo Arcam DV78 from a well known dealer last year,but recently it's started playing up. The disc drive sometimes doesn't completely close all the way in and protrudes about half an inch out-and only goes all the way back in when you switch the whole thing off?. This only happens when i haven't used the dvd player for a while,is this a serious fault with the disc drive?. The other problem that i have is that when loading a dvd it makes a rather loud buzzing sound,is this normal or an Arcam thing? -and although it does quieten down after loading, it continues to buzz away throughout the entire length of movies,it's not unbearable but most cheapo dvd players i've had have been much quieter than this. Also it buzzes more loudly when playing a slightly marked dvd disc. Other than these issues, the player functions as normal

I wanted to know if i should send the unit back for repair,as it's still under warranty,or if this is just normal characteristics with this unit. Thanks

cunny678

Hi guys,:hiya: I bought an ex demo Arcam DV78 from a well known dealer last year,but recently it's started playing up. The disc drive sometimes doesn't completely close all the way in and protrudes about half an inch out-and only goes all the way back in when you switch the whole thing off?. This only happens when i haven't used the dvd player for a while,is this a serious fault with the disc drive?. The other problem that i have is that when loading a dvd it makes a rather loud buzzing sound,is this normal or an Arcam thing? -and although it does quieten down after loading, it continues to buzz away throughout the entire length of movies,it's not unbearable but most cheapo dvd players i've had have been much quieter than this. Also it buzzes more loudly when playing a slightly marked dvd disc. Other than these issues, the player functions as normal

I wanted to know if i should send the unit back for repair,as it's still under warranty,or if this is just normal characteristics with this unit. Thanks
When you say an ex demo DV79 do mean a second hand player? Its just that player is an older model and I guess has not been made for 4 years plus! Unless they have had it on demo far many years?

Anyway, if it is under warranty I would take it back and get the tray repaired or replaced as that is not normal. Also, I believe from these forums the drawer mechanism can be problematic on some models.

As regards the noise, does it do this on some discs or all discs?

Mandss

Standard Member
Hi Mate thanks for your reply, The unit was ex demo for a few years at the store but it was sold with 12 months warranty,hence why i bought it. I've sent it back now and it's with their engineer at the moment who so far is unable to see the problems i've had with it. I don't know whether they are just fobbing me off cos of the costs of potentially repairing it,or whether the unit is playing silly buggers with me.

The noise is more noticeable on slightly marked and scratched discs, but sometimes even on clean unscratched discs the noise it makes throughout an entire film, is enough to distract you. It sounds like the unit is buzzing away and if you put your hand on the machine whilst a dvd is playing, it feels like it's vibrating?.I'm pretty sure it's coming from the disc tray area. The picture is always fine, i just don't understand why it's so noisey at times. The strange thing is it doesn't always do this, it's very tempremental..strange

cunny678

The noise is more noticeable on slightly marked and scratched discs, but sometimes even on clean unscratched discs the noise it makes throughout an entire film, is enough to distract you. It sounds like the unit is buzzing away and if you put your hand on the machine whilst a dvd is playing, it feels like it's vibrating?.I'm pretty sure it's coming from the disc tray area. The picture is always fine, i just don't understand why it's so noisey at times. The strange thing is it doesn't always do this, it's very tempremental..strange
Had a similar problem with noise on my DV79! Made a noise on a few discs but not many and especially CD's. One of the guys on the forums suggested the disc may be dished (not flat) or that the centre hole make have rough edges! Sure enough the CD that made the most noise was dished and as soon as I made a copy and played that it was a quiet as a church mouse. Other disc was rough round the edges of the centre cut out so I removed the rough edges and it was OK.

May be worth checking when you get the machine back - but make sure they fix the dodgy tray as thats a £200 ish repair I believe. By the way how much did you pay for it - if you dont mind me asking?

Chris:smashin:

Mandss

Standard Member
Hi Chris, Ah interesting that! as my DV78 is ok with some discs and not with others, could it be that the disc transports on these machines are sensitive to what you put in them?. I wonder if other Arcam owners with similar dvd players have the same kind of noise issues, or maybe these machines are just generally tempremental noisey buggers?. I paid £199 for it inc free p&p with 12months warranty,and it was like new condition so it was a no brainer for me, and i've got to say the picture quality for a 6 yr old machine is still fab via component, just a pity it makes a bit too much noise sometimes. Anyway,tomorrow i'll find out what the verdict is and hopefully it'll be sorted.

lpm

Novice Member
I've had my DV78 for about four years now. Only had one disc that gave any vibration at all. For the other thousands, it has been dead quiet. Only one moment of panic a few years back when the tray came out on command but the disc stayed inside. A small screwdriver allowed me to free it and it turned out it was a liberal smearing of Jam on the CD :)eek: someone else's child - not me) that had glued (or should I say jammed) it in place. A good careful clean inside and not a problem since. Provided I haven't invited disaster by this comment, it remains an excellent DVD player that I plan to use until I go BluRay. So enjoy yours.:)

cunny678

Hi Chris, Ah interesting that! as my DV78 is ok with some discs and not with others, could it be that the disc transports on these machines are sensitive to what you put in them?. I wonder if other Arcam owners with similar dvd players have the same kind of noise issues, or maybe these machines are just generally tempremental noisey buggers?. I paid £199 for it inc free p&p with 12months warranty,and it was like new condition so it was a no brainer for me, and i've got to say the picture quality for a 6 yr old machine is still fab via component, just a pity it makes a bit too much noise sometimes. Anyway,tomorrow i'll find out what the verdict is and hopefully it'll be sorted.
Hopefully and thats a good price with warranty:smashin: