Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Arcam DV78 and line out level too high?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MR2Harvey, Mar 3, 2004.

Tags:
  1. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have just bought a DV78 and am experiencing a strange fault. I am getting a distorted output from the analogue line out when playing CDs. I have a NAD T752 amp and am connecting using the CD input. The volume level is so loud compared to other sources. If I use the digital out from the DV78 and play CDs with the DACs in the T752 then the volume is normal and no distortion. This is strange because I actually tested the exact player in the shop before I bought with no problems. I have tried connecting the DV78 to another input on the amp, same problem. Tried different leads, same problem. I have subsitued the DV78 for my old CD player, Philips CD880 all is well. I have even borrowed a friends Myriad CD player, no problem with the amp. Has anyone else experienced problems like this?

I am going to get the player swapped over at the weekend, hope that sorts the problem otherwise I'll have to buy a different player cause I want it to play CDs as well as DVDs. Btw the DVD playback is excellent, no complaints there, also the movie sound is first rate. All this is a little irrelevant if it can't play CDs....that is of course why I chose this player!

2. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See how the replacement goes. Some analogue output stages are too loud (greater than the red book 2.0V standard), my old Pioneer CD player had a 2.4V output level which could potentially cause distortion in susceptible preamp circuits - it's the combination of high output from the CD/DVD stage and high sensitivity of the preamp inputs than can cause distortion.

This can be solved by using using an attenuated interconnect or an in-line attenuator to reduce the level of signal.

Have a look at Russ Andrews site for details of their attenuated leads. They can also recommend a suitable level of attenuation for your equipment.

No hard sell here (honest!) but if the replacement is the same and you're at all interested drop me a PM as I've got a -11dB attenuated lead I'm thinking of selling.

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The line output level of the DV78 is about 2.2 volts maximum with normal CDs - though rather higher at peak level with HDCDs (as per the HDCD specification). 2.2V is only about a dB higher than the red book standard.

I wouldn't be surprised if you are using the NAD receiver in some kind of digital mode (so it is converting the analogue CD signal back to digital inside). If so try a direct or bypass mode. In any case it is likely the NAD has a menu line somewhere to attenuate the signal going to its ADCs (analogue to digital converters) so this kind of problem doesn't happen. This sounds to be what may be happening as you say the DV78 is lots louder than other sources. Please check in the NAD instruction manual or call them up to see if they have a solution.

I hope this helps - it does sound to me as if the problem is with the receiver setup. However please understand I have no specific knowledge of the T752 nor am I making any criticism of it, real or implied.

You could also use an attenuator as suggested by Deckard.

John Dawson (Arcam)

4. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

Thanks for the replys guys.....a little update.

I think the line level is a misnomer, I got confused between the digital input level and the analogue. All analouge input levels seem to be equally loud from various different CD / DVD players and different analogue inputs. The digital inputs all are much less loud. The problem I have is that there appears to be too much distortion in the sound which can overload the speakers even at modest levels. Using the DACs in the amp gives a MUCH cleaner sound, I deduce there must be something wrong with the DV78. It really is not producing quality music. I shall get it changed at the weekend and let you all know. The one I heard at the Bristol exhibition was exellent so I'm hoping for good things.

5. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Right I thought it be good to keep you all informed about my little problem with the DV78 CD replay.

As I described before I am getting distortion when playing CD via the Analogue out. So I took my player back to Sevenoaks in Cheltenham where I bought it from and was confident I could be able to demonstrate this VERY obvious fault. Alas no problem with the player using their equipment. Very odd so they then suggest that I bring my AV amp (NAD T752) in as the problem must lie there. Well what do you know it does not sound bad like it did at home! same player same amp, what's going on?

They were very good to me and not treated me llike someone with a screw loose, they are going to talk to Arcam on Monday to discuss matters for me. They have also lent me the Cyrus CD6 for the weekend to see what it sounds like in my system.

Well I get home quickly setyp the amp and DV78 and listen. Where has this distortion gone I definately heard before? I think I must be going mad! I'm now determined to reclaim my sanity and start to put all things back in place before I removed my AMP.

I stat off with the digital lead to the amp at well as the Analogue. No difference, no distortion. I now then think they must have swapped my player over for a later firmware player (they got another in for me in case I wanted to swap it, which in the end I didn't). So I connect the DV78 to my plasma to see the version number which appears for a couple of seconds when you turn the player on. No same player!!! I then get an inspiration, Scart lead have analogue out too. What will it sound like now with the Scart lead in?

DISTORTION!!!!!!

I'm NOT going MAD after all!!!

There must be some kind of fault when it outputs both analogue outs. Has anyone else had such a problem! Does this make sense to any techies here?

Right now I have a dilema, the problem is that although the Arcam sounds so much better now I have been listening to the Cyrus CD6 that they kindly lent me, it does sound very nice. Better that the Arcam for sure. Do I now go for a separate CD player...today I shall decide. I'll report back later.

6. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I wish you had said you were using a SCART lead too! My educated guess is that the TV at the other end of the SCART lead is shorting its audio input to ground, for some reason or other, or else is overloading. IIRC the SCART audio output and main audio outputs of the DV78 are in parallel and so it's the TV that's causing the problem. If all else fails you can snip the 2 audio outs off the SCART lead inside the SCART connector (can't remember the pins, sorry, but someone on here will know, or support may be able to help you).

John Dawson (Arcam)

7. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    John,

You are right of course. I'm looping the DVD player though a couple of other devices until I get a component to HD15 (VGA) cable to use progressive scan on my plasma. Just goes to show that you should never jump to conclusions, I was certain the Arcam was faulty but it seems it's not. The dilema I'm in now though is although the DV78 has a good CD sound, I now feel I want better like the Cryus CD6. How much improvement in the sound would the 88+ give?