1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam dv78/79 or FMJDV27A - which is better for cd and video?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by woo88, May 17, 2005.

Tags:
  1. woo88

woo88
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all.

I'm new to this and need some advice.

I'm in the process of getting a new home cinema/hifi set up. Home cinema is important to me, but the hifi (2 channel) performance for CDs is even more important to me. I'm not interested in hdmi or dvd audio or SACD. (I'm getting PMC GB1s, DB1+s and centre speakers, and Velodyne CHT10R sub).

I would like to get the Arcam AVR300 amp, but am undecided as to the dvd player.

Taking the above into consideration, is the FMJ DV27A player better than the DV78 and DV79 for CD listening (stereo), and video (through prog scan component)?????

Basically, is the DV27A a much better piece of kit than the DV78 or 79?

Also, would the FMJ DV27A be a good match for the AVR300 amp????

I have just seen the FMJ DV27A selling for about £950 - £1000. Is this a good price??

Please help.

Thanks.

2. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    If you don't care about HDMI then the DV27A has to be the best choice. I don't use mine for cd playback as I've already got an FMJ cd player but I did give it a quick go with cd when I got it and I was shocked at how good it sounded.

Picture through prog scan component is also fantastic. I bought mine late last year for the same sort of price you're looking at now. I don't think you'll find it cheaper unless you go for a second hand one.

I'm sure Crustyloafer will post on this thread to give you details on the different players you mention but I'm guessing he'll also tell you the FMJ is the way to go.

Get one while you still can!

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    The DV27A is a far superior machine for cd playback than the DV78 or 79. It will also give a very good picture from its component outputs, better than the component ouptuts on the DV78/79. If you plan on using a HDMI connection then the DV79 will most likely give you a better picture, although not by much. If you want the best of both worlds then you should get the DV29 which has the best cd replay quality and has full HDMI v1.1 spec outputs which makes it more future proof than any of the other models.

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    The question of video output quality is a bit tricky to decide. The DV27A has the Sil 504 progressive scan board, and consequently its analogue progressive scan output is really superb. The 79 and 29 have a digital output (HDMI) which the DV27A lacks, so in interlaced mode they will be superior. The DV29 has better video DACs than the 27A, so its interlaced analogue output will probably also be better. But for progressive scan it's less clear-cut - the digital output of the 29 vs the superior deinterlacing ability of the 27A. If you're going to use an external deinterlacer then the HDMI output will be the best option, but, if not, you may find the Sil 504 board tips the scales.

27A is better than 78 or 79 for CD playback. 29 is supposed to be better still.

5. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all

Where does the DV89 fit into the equation?

Also got an AVR300, not set up yet as just moved house, got up to £500 budget for a DVD/CD player, also not bothered about HDMI or super SACD.

DV88 Plus up to £400 on ebay, DV78 about the same, DV89 about £500.

FMJ out of reach for me, or would a dedicated CD player (CD73T say) and a budget DVD player be a better option for picture and stereo, i have the space.

Any opinions?

Cheers,Tam

6. Brindek

Brindek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I auditioned the CD73 V DV79 purely on 2 channel grounds and found the CD73 far superior. I have since picked up a DV27 and the 2 channel is excellent. I still prefer the CD73 but if I had known I could pick up a DV27 second hand for the same price as the CD73 I wouldn't have bothered with a separate CD & a DVD player.

7. NiallAikman

NiallAikman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a FMJ DV27A and an AVR300, they work very well together. Got the progressive scan outputs hooked up to an LCD screen and the picture quality is stunning.

For my system, the AVR300 is great as it allows me to address my lip-sync problems with the progressive scan and my LCD TV both causing delays due to video processing. I found the adjusting the delay on the DV27A made the panning a bit jerky, but now it's pretty perfect.

Those nice chaps at Overture Hi-fi in Banbury (where I bought it all) actually said that until the new hi-def DVD systems come out, progressive scan will pretty much give you the best quality picture you'll get anyway, so no real worry about HDMI.

Try before you buy is the best advice, really..

8. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I did a dem of the Arcam FMJ DV29 on Saturday. It was connected to a Naim AV2 processor and 2 Naim power amps. It sounded awesome with the Naim gear costing about 6400 pounds.

But I have a Rotel 1098 processor at the moment and Arcam FMJ power amps.The DV29 sounded so much better than Pioneer 757Ai DVD player which is a couple of years old but you have to take into account the speakers were better - PMC GB1 for fronts and PMC DB1 for centre. I only have the PMC TB2 fronts and TB2 centre.

Crustyloafer would you recommend me the DV27A secondhand or the DV29 new? I am looking for improvement in sound and the source component is obviously very important. In a review of the Dv29 a few months ago Hifi Choice said the sound was not much improved from the Dv27A.

Please advise. Thanks

9. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Sorry got to add I have already got a good CD player - the Arcam FMJ Cd23T. So CD sound is not so important to me.

10. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Sab,

If you have an external processor doing the decoding and conversion - i.e. taking the Dolby Digital stream and converting it into 6 analogue signals, 1 for each speaker - then almost any Arcam player will sound almost identical to any other Arcam player. Indeed, most players from about £500 upwards will sound almost indistinguishable - it is the processor that is the "source component" and not the player.

So if you're listening to movies on DVD with an external processor providing the sound, there won't be much difference. The audio differences only become significant when you are using the player to do your decoding and/or D-A conversion. I suspect that your CD-23T will sound at least as good as a DV29 when used to play CDs directly, so you would stand to gain nothing there. If you are particularly interested in DVD-Audio discs (which, annoyingly, usually have to be decoded and converted by the player) then the DV29 might sound a bit better than the DV27A, but I doubt that it will sound suffciently much better to justify the price differential.

The DV29 would potentially win out on the video front - see my post higher up this thread.

11. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Certainly as a newbe here, at least I can offer some first hand info. I bought the DV29 and asked here on this forum about differences in the CD playback VS the fmj players, and if it was worth the extra dough. I recently purchased the fmj CD33 on closeout for the CD36, which was due to be available thereafter. Not to mention the great deal on the outgoing CD33. I compared the DV29 thru my AVR300 via Paradigm Signature speakers, and switched back and forth between the fmj CD33 and DV29 playing the same CD...Best of Santana's Greatest Hits, ( I had two copies) and I found the CD33 superior in most respects. (in an amateurs description) I seem to hear more musicality, a better separation of music from all dedicated speakers, additionally a deeper bass, and it seemed that the music had specific places to go with each speaker in my setup. Though the DV29 seemed "to me " a great CD player...better than what I was expecting, the fmj CD33 certainly rises above it in most respects, and certainly enough to justify the increase in price...at least for me, I love my CD's. Crustyloafer was accurate in his descriptions as he has owned both. I'm thoroughly pleased well beyond what I had expected in the differences in the players. If possible, those that seek the the same inquiries as I did about the differences demo the two components...I think that you will find the same conclusions that others have that have been down this road before. Certainly the upcosts are an issue, as they were with me, but I can say with confidence that if you are at least inquiring/considering...the costs are well worth it. For me...here in the USA, the Paradigm Signatures/Arcam AVR300/CD33 is the best I've heard to date in my home. I loved my previous DSP A1 and B&W Nautilus 805/HTM/805b's, and did so for several years, but I gotta admit, so far this is the best I've had in my home. The fmj CD33 and the new speakers seem to get better with each listen....Still, I can't help but wonder if Chris (Crustyloafer) says that the CD36 is even better than the CD33 I am in awe of just what differences each Arcam product can do to improve any sonic qualities :smashin:

12. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Btw, Sab, you might also want to consider buying a stand-alone stereo DAC, something like a Benchmark Dac-1. The sound quality you'll get out of that is probably as good as you'll get from your CD33, and will be more or less independent of the transport you use. So you could buy a cheaper DVD player + DAC, save the price of a more expensive DVD player, and also sell your CD player for financing.

13. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks NicolasB for your good advice. You have just saved me a lot of money. I really like the Arcam FMJ range but some of the stuff is very expensive although it sounds very good and looks good. If it ain't broke don't fix it! All of my hifi units are working fine and sound good.

My Arcam FMJ CD23tT Cd playerr is a classic as it contains the acclaimed dCs Ring Dac. Hi Fi Choice preferred this over the successor CD33T and the very recent CD36 has only earned three stars from What Hi Fi and costs RRP 1400 pounds. I will hang onto the CD23T for a while longer - a few more years.

The DV29 DVD player costs 1600 pounds but to say it sounds as good as a 1100 pound Cd player in the same FMJ range is a mistake surely? Most of the DV29's cost would have been spent on the Video Dacs, audio dacs, DVD-Audio engineering and the FMJ finish . I would still like to have a good Cd player and a good DVD player and use them for their true purposes. Also the DV29 is probably slow to play an inserted Cd as DVD discs would get priority.

14. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    I would maybe wait and see what some of the more reputable magazines have to say about the CD36 before jumping to conclusions. What Hi-Fi magazine is the 'Daily sport' of the Hi-Fi magazine world and sometimes I think the cover title should really read' What Hi-Fi?' It is most likely that Arcam did not hand over a big pile of sweaty notes at the time of supplying the CD36 for review and as such could not be expected to get anyhting better than 3 stars. Hi-Fi News is one magazine that it'd definitely be worth reading their opinion of the player, as they actually seem to know what they are talking about.

15. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Crustyloafer - you are righ about the Arcam CD36 cd player. It has now become a best buy in Hi-Fi Choice - which I subscribe to - earning 89% overall and 90% for the sound category.

However, I still do not wish to upgrade my Cd player - CD23T.

16. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    I would stick to your CD23, it will still be bettr than the DV29 at CD replay, by a substantial margin.