1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam DV29 review ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mr Grumpy, Jan 17, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

I am toying with the idea of changing my DVD player to a better one and having seen one or two posts relating to issues with Denons I am steering towards the Arcam camp instead. The only area I stand to lose out in with going the Arcam route as opposed to the Denon one is that I won't be able to take advantage of the Denon-link on my 3805 receiver, but this is surely not the end of the world.
    Does anyone know where I can get hold of a copy of a review of the Arcam DV29 as my searches thus far have turned up nothing at all ?
    Failing that I could just go straight for a demo based on what sort of reviews Arcam players typically get, I suspect I won't be too disappointed.

Thanks in advance.

2. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    From what I have heard the dv29 is a fantastic machine!

Have you searched on the Arcam forum?

3. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ah the Arcam forum, I really should have thought of that
    Thanks for your help

4. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Why are you specifically after a 29 though?

5. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Truth be told I am not specifically after a 29 especially seeing as I have no intention of playing anything other than regular DVDs. It was more that I understood this to be the top end Arcam and therefore a decent jump over my current player. Should I be considering other (non Denon) models for audition maybe ?

6. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Review here

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all&type=&manufacturer=16&maxprice=0&deInt=0&mpeg=0#ArcamFMJ%20DV-29%20(HDMI)

7. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    what about a dv89 or 78?Both are meant to have great pq?

8. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    DV29 is the bee's knees in my eyes, is the obvious answer coz I have one :) I tested against DV79, and went for DV29 coz I am going to use it as a replacement for my CD72 as well. Releasing the CD72 gives me space on the hifi rack to upgrade to another stereo amp to bi-amp my fronts. Upgradetitis is going strong with me at the moment ;)

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    OK, this is my post pub review of the DV29:

THe PQ is excellent but is possibly beaten by the previous model, the DV27, but only in progressive mode via an analogue connection. The DV27 only has analogue outputs where as the DV29 has HDMI that also carries multichannel audio - the first DVD player I believe to have this feature. The digital & PS features are obviously dependent on the screen haveing the relevant inputs & capability.
    Sound wise the DV29 is about the best DVD player for CD replay unless you spend really silly money on something like the Linn Unidisk 1.1 (£6.5k IIRC). IMHO the DV29 outperforms my old CD73 for CD replay by a fair margin and that was a great CD player.

Now others may well shoot my above comments down in flames, in which case I will blame it all on the :beer: , otherwise I stand behind everything I have said :devil:

Mark.

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    There was a quite good review in last months Hi Fi Choice, I can fax you a copy if you wish. :)

11. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers guys. Some excellent responses. My way of thinking has always been that although I 'could' make do with the next model down I would always be wondering what if ...... so that's the best reasoning I can come up with for edging towards the DV29 :laugh:

Right I am off to check out the review (link posted above.)

12. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hmm...now I am far from convinced that this is the way to go. Hardly a glowing report in the above review (reading between the lines) and at any price point a 2 second layer change is awful - even my old Sony is hardly noticeable in comparison...

13. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    My advise would be to ignore the review and get a demo of the DV29. Take along a couple of DVDs that you know where the layer change is and see if it bothers you. It did a little with me at first, but I very quickly got used to it. As long as the layer change is put at a sensible point of the film it doesn't really matter that much anyway. Also consider my previous points re the DV27 as this will be a great player if HDMI/DVI connections are not required, and will of course be a fair bit cheaper if you can find one new/ex-dem/second hand.

Mark.

14. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Mark.
    Well TBH I would have preferred to go for a player with a digital connection if possible as even without taking other factors into account it 'ought to' be a step up over my component connections I have at present. But I do agree about ignoring the reviews in question as it really doesn't paint a good picture of what I suspect is a very accomplished player given the price point and features (not forgetting Arcam's reputation for quality). Try before you buy as they say.

15. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Don't discount a DV27a. They can be bought brand new for £950. Their prog scan output is pretty much as good as the DV29 HDMI. Get a comparison if you can.

I have a 27a for the next few years until the HDMI standard settles and really kicks in with a picture quality far and above the 27a.