1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam DV29 Prog Scan Component Output

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Edgeyboy, Oct 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    When using the progressive scan component output on the DV29, does the player use the Silicon Image deinterlacer of the Vaddis 5 ?

Many thanks

Tom.

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I read in an artcile that the DV29 doesn't have a SIL504 chipset. In the article it said that it used the Vaddis 5 for deinterlacing.

3. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That is correct. The DV29 uses the Vaddis 5 and does not have the SI deinterlacer. While I haven't seen the DV29, which has improved video DACs over the DV27A, it seems a real shame to drop the SiI504 from the FMJ player.

I have a DV88+ with the add-on SiI504 and it's better over component than the DV79 over component or HDMI. I wonder how much of an improvement the DV29 would provide.

Personally, I'm on the look out for a really good B-stock DV27A deal.

Dean

4. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Having owned a DV88P and now a DV79 - the DV79 pic over HDMI is definately better.

5. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I spent the whole past weekend comparing my DV88+/SiI504 with the DV79. Used Transparent Cable premium component on the DV88+/504 and Transparent Cable premium DVI w/HDMI adapters on the DV79. TV is a U.S. model Samsung 61" DLP (HLP6163W). I used two copies of DVDs to simultaneously play them in the two players, switching back and forth to compare specific scenes. I also just played extended scenes from various DVDs in both machines.

On DVDs with good video quality (like LOTR EE), the DV88+/SiI504 component outperformed the DV79 Vaddis-5 HDMI. The 88 had better detail, looked more natural, and was bit more three dimensional. The DV79 was somewhat softer, but had slightly higher contrast.

On older films (like Hitchcock Torn Curtain DVD) the DV79 was somewhat more satisfying to watch, but I think that may be because the SiI504 is more accurate/revealing (and thus shows more flaws in the poorer source material).

The 79 has somewhat better contrast and color saturation over HDMI, but that's just as likely to be differences in the way the TV inputs are calibrated as differences in the players/cables.

Overall, the the two players are very close, but I liked the DV88+/504 a little better. In any case, I see no reason to change my 88 to a 79.

I also used the same two cables to compare the DV79's component and HDMI outputs. The results were inconclusive, again because the differences could have been the TV inputs. If anything the HDMI output had the (very) slight edge.

In the end, I can't say either one is clearly superior to the other. Overall, I give the DV88+/504 the edge -- I still think it's better. I would bet, however, that the DV79 would outperform a standard DV88+ (using Vaddis 5 for deinterlacing).

6. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Thanks for the info guys.

The reason for me question is I have aqquired a SONY D50 CRT and need a player with the best possible component output.

Obviously, one would have assumed the DV29 would be better than the outgoing model but perhaps the improvements are mainly down to the new digital connections and a DV27A will be better for me?

Tom.

7. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am very curious how the DV27A (with the SiI504) and DV29 (with Vaddis5, but better video DACs) compare over component, but I'd also like to see a DV27 Component vs. DV29 HDMI comparison. I don't expect I'll be able to make the comparison myself.