1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam DV29 = DiVA CD 192?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by WRG, Jun 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As of yesterday I finally have my system hooked up. As this is my first experience with both Arcam and Paradigm equipment, I am totally satisfied with the CD quality of the DV29 voiced thru the Paradigm Signature S2 speakers, the only thing that plays on my mind is...I watch an equal amount of dvd's as I do CD's, I can't help but think that the disc drawer motors and other components that play separate roles in dvd/cd play will be doing double-duty. I'm thinking of purchasing a separate CD player to alleviate the "double-duty" problem. I've read a few posts that alluded to the fact that the DV29 has the equivalent sound sonically as the DiVA CD192. I've read that the DV29 will upsample to 24-bit/192k using the digital connections, but I use them for the dvd, and send analogue to the CD on the AVR300. Would it be make any sense to purchase the DiVA CD192 just to use the digital connection for the upsampling? I'm wondering if it would sound any better than the DV29 thru analogue. I guess the reason I'm asking, other than the "double-duty" aspect, is that at this price point for a significant sonic difference maybe I just should step up to a CD33 or CD36. At this point though...as I mentioned this is my first experience with Arcam/Paradigm and I have to say I'm totally impressed with the sound. When I just use the 2-ch direct for CD playback using the converters via analogue connection the quality is pristine, I'm thinking Arcam gear 50%, Paradigm S-2 50%, regardless, excellent quality. I had B&W N805 and Yam DSP A1 previously, I use that as my reference sound memory. This system rivals that musically. As most seasoned audiophiles know, you always have an ear out for something better/different/upgraded....As my dealer does not have a CD192 or a CD33/36 to take home for a demo to compare differences in sound quality I'd thought that maybe somebody here has had the pleasure to hear both in comparison....Yea, I know...I'm probably asking a lot especially since I like what I have, but the double-duty and all that...I was just wondering :rotfl:

2. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe there are a couple of postings in this forum on the CD quality of the DV29. Just do a search.

For what I remember is that the DV29 is a damn good CD player and would be comparable to the CD192, so if you want to improve that, you need to make the step towards the CD33/36

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Well I use my DV29 as CD player and am more than happy to not have to buy another box to sit on the rack! I previously had the CD73 and to me the DV29 does a better job of CD's by a fair margin.
    When I bought the DV29 the salesman said that he thought it was as good for CD replay as the CD33, but others on here have said that to them it is not quite as good - somewhere between the CD192 & CD33. As I've not heard either of these CD players I can't say.

I think that everybody you ask is likely to have a different opinion as to the closest match for the DV29. At the end of the day it is you who has to decide, therefore get to a dealer with both CD players and at least have an instore demo of them both.

Mark.

4. mozart

mozart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never heard of any 44.1 to 192khz upsampling on DV29. The coax digital connection only supports 96khz maximum, so the only possibility is enhanced 192khz signal via hdmi. As you are connecting the player to AVR300 (without hdmi), I guess this would not be a possibility, anyway. Also, I think Arcam would use this ability more actively in their marketing, if upsampling was the case. However, the CD192 does do upsampling. The cd player also have quadruple 24/192 Wolfson DACs, whereas DV29 has one per channel (5.1). DV29 is a fantastic cd player though...

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    I would say that the DV29 is at best as good as the CD192 for CD playback but probably still not quite there. The CD36 is in a different league though.

6. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The way I understand it after wading through many many seperate impressions is that the dv27a is one of the best choices from Arcam for cd/dvd sound. Arcam created better players in terms of accuracy and such with the dv29 and cd33, but have now returned to that superior sound of the dv27a (but now WITH improved accuracy!) with the cd36. Let your own ears decide what is true, of course. ;)

7. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea, I think that if I just cool off a bit and quit reading all the online reviews about gear I'll be fine ;) I really do like what I hear from the DV29 with the CD playback...the dvd seems exceptional IMHO. It would probably just make more sense to wait until I can hear the CD36 for myself...Making any lateral move at this point just to save the "disc drawer motor duty" isn't going to be feasable either it seems. It's good to hear the opinions from others on the comparison though, because after reading some of the great reviews, they seem to indicate that the CD 192 is an exceptional player for it's price range. If the quality is basically similar, no point in moving in that direction :) As I previously mentioned, I like the CD quality in the DV29...just had to ask though!

Maybe the CD36 would make a nice Xmas gift :clap: Thanks gents..

8. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Warning! I was more than happy with the CD replay of the DV29 until I heard the CD36 on demo recently. Now I must have one. If you hear it, you will too.

9. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greggles, the CD36 hasn't yet arrived here in the states however, my dealer said he could get me a great deal on the CD33. He called me back and said that they still have a few new ones left over so I had him order me one :clap: It will arrive in 3-4 days...for the price I couldn't refuse :D I think I'll be content with the 33, I'm sure that it sounds good, I read several reviews and they praise it highly, and besides with the few left over dollars I can put it towards the remaining upgrade in my system :)

10. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    The good thing about Arcam (or any other hifi company) bringing out a new product, is the inevitable bargains available on the model it replaces. Yes the CD33 in an excellent CD Player, but the CD36 is better (see CrustyLoafers posts on the subject). I spoke to an Arcam chap at the UK Cedia Expo yesterday, who said that he would be replacing his CD33 at some point, but was in no hurry to do so - and they probably pay six pence ha'penny for the stuff!

Externally the players look identical (er, except for the name). In fact, looking at the phot of the CD36 in the new brochure, I think someone had "photo-shopped" over a picture of a CD33.

Technically the new player has a slightly improved frequency response (5Hz-20KHz) and Harmonic distortion is reduced from <0.003% to 0.0008%, although I would suspect the latter had more to do with their ability to measure it accurately than any improvement.

11. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically I'm quite content to get the CD33 for the great price, and waiting another couple of weeks I may not be able to acquire the unit as they only had a couple left through my dealer at this price to make way for the newer CD36. My dealer told me that the CD36 wouldn't be available for at least another two weeks...and honestly I couldn't really say that I could tell the difference between the two side-by-side comparison audibly. My ears aren't all that sensitive to probably pick out the differences :( Though at least when I do get hooked up I'll be able to switch back and forth between the DV29 and the CD33 to see if I can hear sonic differences between these players...I'll report back on that when I do!

....I'm really psyched just to get me hands on a great player like the CD33 :smashin: