1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam [DV27A vs DV29] vs (73T)

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by musicwave, Jul 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. musicwave

musicwave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First let me say that I know there are threads about audio comparisons on this forum, but I haven't seen any that answers all my questions. I am at a crossroads where I have to choose between purchasing a dv27a($1500) or a new dv29($1850). Which should I get? Concerns are as follows:

1) I have a CD73T, will the dv27A produce better redbook playback than it?
    2) I have a 27" JVC CRT(non-prog), I will upgrade to an HDTV sometime in the future, but I don't really see the need until HD-DVD hits the market. I want to be as future-proof as possible, but I have a feeling that when I go to get a HDTV, I'll probably also buy a HD-DVD player which will have HDMI.
    3) Are the Audio/Video DACs in the dv29 far superior to the dv27a?
    4) Are the prices too high for these players?
    5) How much better is the prog picture quality to that of the HDMI output of the dv29? Or should I be concentating on the interlaced PQ of the dv29 vs dv27a?

Thanks a million!!!
    John :lease:

2. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    let me give a first go at your questions. I do not have any of the devices you mentioned but have been reading the forums all the time and most answers are from there. However, I did hear the CD82 compared to the DV79 so I have some clue to know what to look for:
    1) the dv27A will have slightly better playback then the CD73T. it is stated that it is comparable to the CD192
    2) HDMI as a connection is just slightly better then component. Anyway no one knows what the future will bring and what HD-DVD's will look like. Better to enjoy the next few years a great picture then to wait for the industry to pick the proper HD-road
    3)the audio DAC's/sound of the dv29 is better then that of the dv27A. The video-part of the dv27A is better !! then the dv29. The video-decoding of the dv27A is a seperate board which is superiour to the dv29
    4) no prices are not to high imo. Both players are great pieces of equipment and are in the top end of the hifi market. I would pick Arcam above any other likewise priced device anyday, but then again, this is the arcam forum ;)
    5)progressive is preferable above interlaced ! you would need an external de-interlacer of high quality to outperform these arcam units. I believe both 27A and 29 are capable of outputting progr. scans

3. musicwave

musicwave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response. I forgot to mention that I have a JVC XV-SA602 DVD player, and have not had a chance to audition any of the Arcam DVD players, therefore I am going off of what I have read as a baseline; I really don't know what to expect in terms of an improvement in PQ. Can anyone shed some light on this matter?

I am guessing people are thinking the dv27a is the controversial winner here? Hey, it'll save me a few hundred bucks, can I get a concurrance?

Thanks,
    John

4. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I compared my DV79 with a normal Denon DVD player (video and sound wise) and on picture quality i noticed:
    - much more details on black backgrounds (like stars, multiple black layers etc)
    - much more and brighter colors (richness)
    - lines being much more sharper
    - large area's of 1 color looked much better
    - quick movements in the picture were more stable
    - etc etc etc
    - PS really added a lot of "quietness" to the picture

5. tvh3ad

tvh3ad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Re redbook: I have the CD72 and the 27A: the 27A most definitely outperforms the CD72 for redbook material. (Plus, for audio you also get HDCD and DVD-A, neither of which are supported by the CD72.)

Re PQ: I wrote in another thead awhile ago that when my wife and I A/B'd the Arcam players against our midlevel Sony, we preferred the Sony to the 78/79 and the 27A to everything else. All three Arcam players had substantially better audio than the Sony; of the three, the 27A was again easily the best.

I know there's better stuff out there for more dough, but in its class the 27A is hands-down the best source component I have ever owned. DVD PQ over the PS component output is darn close to network HD, the analog audio reproduction is fabulous, and the exterior design is wife-approved.

6. musicwave

musicwave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tvh,

Awesome post, I think I am going to send off my check for the dv27a tomorrow. I like the fact that I'll be getting the silicon Images 504 offboard prog processor, and I doubt the audio is "much" better in the dv29. If it's an upgrade to the audio capabilities of my CD73T, then it is a worthwhile investment, as I'll be getting a better dvd player, as well as a more capable redbook cd player. Let me know your thoughts, if any everyone, thanks for all your help!!

John