Arcam DV27A / DVD Audio

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pringtef, Sep 30, 2003.

Tags:
  1. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I've been looking at this DVD Audio, and this player as my next upgrade.

It mentions on the Dolby web site re DVD Audio (http://www.dolby.com/dvd/Listeners_Guide_DVD_Audio.html), that :-

"If your current system's not DVD-Audio-ready (i.e., it doesn't have a six-channel input), you can still use your DVD-Audio player just like any other DVD-Video player until you're ready to upgrade. Simply connect a digital audio cable from the DVD-Audio player to your Dolby Digital receiver (if you have a Pro Logic receiver, use two analog audio cables), and run a video line to your receiver or TV set"

I would have thought that these six channels could be carried by the DVDs digital output socket, but it appears doing this is a step down from getting the best out of the format.

Can anyone advise? Don't want to splash the cash and then find out I'm going to have to upgrade my amp also to get the best out of this format.

cheers,

Timbo

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The high resolution stereo or surround on a DVD-Audio disc will not play out of the coax or optical outputs. It will only output via the analog outs (unless you are using proprietary links such as the i-link between Pioneer DVD player/amp or the Denon link etc).

This is because they are scared of you copying high resolution digital copies.

To listen to the high res surround you will have to connect the 6 analogue outs from the DVD player to the 6 analogue ins on your amp. High res stereo would then just travel over 2 of these 6 interconnects.

A lot of the DVD-Audio discs contain other formats (in addition to the high res formats) such as AC3 5.1 which will playback via your coax/optical to the amp.

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    AFAIK even Pioneer and Denon's proprietary links don't work for encrypted DVD-Audio (which nearly all of it is). The only one that does is Meridian's "MHR Smartlink".

4. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Aaaah I see, thanks for that.

I'm assuming i could just wire the left and right channel output from the six channel outputs on the dvd to a spare set of phono inputs on my amp to get the two channel dvd audio?

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yep

You will have to look at each DVD-Audio disc individually because they all have different mixture of formats on.
    Some have High Res stereo , High Res surround , Ac3 5.1 etc , others just High Res stereo & AC3 5.1 , just depends on the disc.

I bow to Nic's knowledge about proprietary links ( I thought the purpose of them was to allow digital transfer to amp of SACD/DVD-Audio). I have to go the analogue route myself but that still sounds good.:D