arcam dv27

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thxultra, Feb 27, 2003.

Tags:
  1. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    how good is this player at playing cd,what sort of price range would an equivalent cd only player be

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is widely considered to be one of the best dvd players for cd playback:smoke:

3. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Having recently upgraded to the Dv27 following a batch of faulty 3800's, I am delighted with it's all round performance.

DVD performance is superb and I would put the CD playback at around Arcam's CD82 (£600). I have a CD23T for reference and although the DV27 does a good job, the CD23T is far better.

Hope that helps

Darren

4. rafaelp

rafaelp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking for ONE player to handle CD's and DVD's. The DV27 is the player I finally decided to purchase. It's expensive but most players that could match the picture could not match the CD sound. I am very happy with this player.

BTW as a proper disclaimer -- I did my research in early 2002. I am not familiar with some of the new players.

5. kaspj

kaspj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the latest version of the DVD27 and I'm very impressed with CD playback. It's superb. In one american review it was holding it's own quite well against a very high-end cd player. The fact that such a comparision was even possible speaks volumes.
    IMHO it probably falls somewhere in the £600 to £900 range. Not bad for a DVD player, albeit a first-class one.

JP.:smashin:

6. a_b

a_b
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also considered DV27 as CD/DVD player, and had it on loan for 4 days. I was not satisfied with the CD results - it was close to Arcam alpha 8 which I had, albeit a bit more detailed yet less engaging. However, as I found from many (enjoyable) years of experience with Arcams, it will all depend heavily on your amplification / speakers/ tastes for music. You might like it! But I liked £800 - 1200 CD players far better. I might be wrong, but I think (on paper) DV27 has the same DAC as CD82.

However, it is a fantastic DVD player - best I ever tried below 2K. So if I was thinking DVD first, CD second, it would be no brainer. But I was thinking music first DVD second, so went for CD23 + Philips 963sa (the latter is noticeably worse than DV27 as DVD, imho).

but again, I strongly believe you have to listen to make a choice.

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    John Dawson (Arcam dude) reckons that the DV27's CD playback comparable to Arcam's CD92 - which is considered a good buy at ~£900 - but significantly behind the FMJ CD23 (£1100). But of course these things are always subjective (and depend on a lot more than the type of DAC used).

8. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  9. yapota

yapota

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I also had a Denon 3800 over a weekend and got very fustrated with locking issues, etc. Also I did not rate the cd playing quality of the 3800. I finally went for the DV27 and have found it to be a very engaging CD player. Also the latest softwre version 1.81 enable pal progressive!!. I think it's a great DVD player. I did think about the meridian but there is a significant price difference and also my dealer told me that lately he had a few units with build problems that he has had to send back.

Overall I am very pleased with the DV27

Thanks

Yagnesh:smashin:

10. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    I would agree with that assessment, but as always it's a question of balancing quality and cost. You can get a second hand 596 for not much more than a new DV27 - but a second hand DV27 is going to be that much cheaper again.