1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam DV27 Vs 29

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by niceguy235uk, Sep 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    My local dealer has a 27 on sale for a very reasonable price and i was considering purchasing it but then i remembered about the new (ish) 29. Is the extra money for the 29 worth it? Are there any real differences in quality etc?

Any passing thoughts appreciated!

Regards

2. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go for the DV27 !

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Hmmm, bit of a blunt statement there.

If you plan to make use of the HDMI output on the DV29 and/or the analogue audio outputs then I would say definitely go for the DV29 if not then go for the DV27A but only if it is a DV27A and not a DV27. If it is not a DV27A the don't bother and get the DV29.

4. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Hi crusty.

Why should i go for the 27A? im not bothered about dvd-a so surely the 27 is the same player without the dvd-a??

Thanks in advance.

5. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 27 is definitally better then the 29 in video. and that is the reason why you need a DVD player, right?

And the difference between a HDMI and component connection is very very minor. Invest in proper cables.

If you are using it for CD's then it's another discussion but on dvd's.... go for the 27

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The DV27A has the same processor as the DV29 (the Zoran Vaddis V) where the DV27 has the older Vaddis III. This gives the DV27A somewhat improved video quality and CD playback. It's also more responsive, with a nicer GUI, and has fewer compatibility problems with out-of-spec discs.

It also, as you say, supports DVD-A playback, and it's capable of producing 5.1 audio output without using an external processor (although you do still need a 5.1-channel pre-amp, and the sound quality isn't as good as a high-end processor would be).

The DV29 has superior audio and video DACs and the advantage of HDMI output (DV27A is analogue only) but it lacks the onboard Sil 504 deinterlacing chip, so progressive scan output is arguably inferior to the DV27A.

7. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Agree...the DV27A only uses the Vaddis 5 for decoding MPEG. Deinterlacing is handled by the excellent Silicon Image SiI504, and for that reason makes the DV27A the superior choice if video over component out is of primary importance.

But all DV27s with progressive out use the SiI. Didn't progressive output appear in the DV27 before the "A" model. If so, any one of those (using the SiI) would be excellent for video, and possibly better than anything Arcam offers new.

And I question whether the Vaddis 5 deinterlacing over HDMI (DV29) is better than the SiI504 over component (DV27A). I compared my DV88Plus upgraded with the SiI504 against the DV79 with the Vaddis 5 and HDMI. The DV79 using HDMI was not better than my DV88 Plus+SiI over component.

Dean

8. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    hi,

Having the DV29 available at home connected over both 10m HDMI and component to my 5700 projector, I have to say the HDMI is perfection personified :)

Admittedly this does have something to do with me not spending the time or effort in calibrating the 5700 for component in, or getting it ISF'd. The HDMI is very much a plug and play that produces an absolutely oustanding picture.

As others have said, and it is my view, if you will utilise the HDMI, go for the DV29. If HDMI is not important, get yourself the good deal on the DV27A.

Cheers

Andy

9. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have no doubt the HDMI video is better than the component video on the DV29. But they both use the Vaddis 5 for deinterlacing.

Now to pit the DV29 HDMI with Vaddis 5 deinteracing against the DV27 Component with Silicon Image interlacing would be moe interesting (assuming similar quality of qualibration on monitor inputs). And it would not surprise me to see the DV27 come out better.

10. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Thanks for all your valued opinions. That has given me serious 'food for thought'.

Regards

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Personally, regardless of how high I hold the SIL504 in esteme, I prefer a 29 over a 27a over a 27, whether analogue or digital outputs.

12. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    My DV27 has the Vaddis V processor and it's not a DV27A. It was know as the DV27 plus even though Arcam never offically called it that and filled in before the DV27A was actually launched.

13. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Why bother getting any Arcam DVD player, when you own the superior Naim DVD5? (apart from the former being a cosmetic match to the processor/power amp) I have had the Naim player on home demo and have been very impressed. Naim seem to have eradicated the clitches that I have heard about. I don't suppose you fancy an exchange - (DV29 + £?? for DVD5)?

14. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But there really isn't any point of telling us that, unless you say why you have that preference. What is it you think is better about the DV29 over the DV27A when using analog video out?

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    It looks better, simple as that, it is a better picture. More 3d....;) Arcam are not daft enough to make a worse player, they are a firm full of bright inteligent people. I think there is allot of points telling people this. In fact I can't think of a single thing that I prefered on the 27, SIL504 included, but it is a player I hold in VERY HIGH ESTEME even now.

Naim is a great DVD player, but just pop the lids and look how much is the same ;) Did I say that....

16. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Good point greggles i wondered how long it would take for someone to ask!!! :D

Well in all honesty im just feeling my way at the mo. The Naim player is absolutley superb in every way, but, i am stiil having a few probs with it.
    ie Takes a long time to load, and various other small niggles that most people wouldnt worry about, but considering its price, i feel the player should work a lot better than it does. My previous player was a dv78 which i thought was fantastic, but, i thought my credit card could do with a hammering and bought the DVD5.

Im not in anyway Naim bashing at all but i dont feel they spent long enough developing a stable software environment for it. It has no mechanical faults at all, just software. I know dvd is fairly new to Naim and Arcam have been doing it for a long time but if they can sort this out then it will stay on my rack for a very long time.

My dealer and Naim are on the case but i think i may be losing a little faith. I have just borrowed a CD5X from my dealer to try out this weekend and i think it sounds wonderful, so if it comes to it then i will have that and an Arcam DvD player instead of the DVD5 -maybe-. Its all in my head at the mo so ill have to see what happens.

Thanks for the offer but my dealer said it will be 'sorted' , one way or the other. Plus the fact you woudnt have the warranty on the unit so future firmware upgrades etc may cost you.

17. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    If you ask the right people then a swap for a mint DV27a might be an option. Now let me see, who do I know that likes Naim, willing to swap and has a DV27A? Hmmmm..............:)

18. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Yes, true. :)

There are some "DV27" players that have the Vaddis V processor, and, as you say, these are unofficially referred to as "DV27+". However, these are relatively rare. They were made for only a few months while Arcam was struggling to get the DV27A software working. They do not (AFAIK) support DVD-A playback or in-player DD/DTS decoding.

It is usually better to assume that a DV27 has the Vaddis III processor unless you are specifically told otherwise.

19. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    It appears that I spoke too soon when I said that Naim had ironed out all the bugs on the DVD5. The one I've had on home demo (with latest firmware) has frozen on me twice while playing back different DVDs, requiring hard restarts on both occasions. The dealer has checked the (very expensive) DVI to HDMI lead that he loaned to me, and it's fine so we are both in the dark?

The DVD5 also seems to have a worse layer change delay than the DV29, which is not the fastest around.

CD replay is where the Naim really shines though - far superior to the DV29. I'm returning the DVD5 on Wednesday and am hoping to pick up a CD36 for home demo. Perhaps a one box solution is not the best solution!

20. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    The CD36 is a tremendous machine, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

21. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I also think you should give the Naim CD5X a serious listen too (virtually the same price as the CD36 and im borrowing one at the mo). For all the faults on the DVD5, Naim are unbeatable (IMHO) when it comes to 2 channel audio.

Better still, maybe your dealer might lend you both for an A/B comparison. If he does i would love to hear the results!!!!

And no, i dont think a one box solution is the best solution.

Oh, and by the way, what the hell is a PVR? My avr300 had that input on it and i couldnt work out what is w as for!!

22. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    PVR = Personal Video Recorder, e.g. a hard disk recorder for recording TV, and replacing the ageing VCR. These sort of things

Cheers

Andy

23. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    ooooohhhhhhhhhhhh i see. Ta!

24. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I demoed the DVD5, DV29 and the Cyrus DVD8 separately before picking up the DVD5. I haven't regretted it for DVD certainly... the DVD5 is superior in sonic and visual regard and relatively speaking to the DV29 is totally worth the money (well that is before you compare it to a Denon :p ).

I haven't had too much problems, but then I do spend far more time spinning audio discs than DVD's in general so don't use the DVD5 that often... and that's the rub. I can't believe how crappy the DVD5 is for audio relatively speaking. I say relatively because I realised this only when I got it home. (The Arcam was significantly worse, which I guess fooled me as to the DVD5's abilities) So my dreams of a one-box set-up were dashed yet again.

But I would buy a Denon 2910/3910 than an Arcam DV29 for sure... unless it's going REALLY cheap. Haven't heard/seen the DV27... but surely it can't be better

25. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Personally i dont think you will ever find a DVD player that is capable of playing cd's as good as a dedicated cd player, however good the manufacturers say they are.

26. spark123

spark123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greggles - interesting note. Is the layer change noticeably worse on all discs or just on or two? I'd heard (completely unconfirmed, of course) that the layer change was very good on the DVD5, so would be interesting to hear actual results.

27. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Personally, dare i say, my previous player, the dv78 was better.

Not sure about Greggles tho..

28. spark123

spark123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm. Bit disappointing.

The one player that I did try, that has almost zero layer change-lag, and region-free out of the box, was the Cambridge Audio Azur 540D. Not quite in the same league, of course, but interesting to see the different implementations at different price-points.

29. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    It is a bit, but i have been in contact with Naim direct now and they are on the case :thumbsup:

30. spark123

spark123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do let us know how they respond to the layer change issue you have e.g. is it recognised as a general problem that they can improve upon?