1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam DV27 upgrade to pal progressive?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Splatt, May 1, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Splatt

Splatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am interested in the fact that the arcam dv27 was outputing pal progressive ,as i have a dv27 I would like to know how this was possible as my setup is in need of this feature.

I would be very grateful if you are awared of how to do this if you could reply with any information so i could upgrade my player. The supplier has been unable to help me on this issue, but I have been advised that it is possible and someone suggested I post an enquiry here in the hope that some one may be able to fill me in..

Stephen Platt
    :cool:

2. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think Arcam had the foresight to include PAL progressive support but it's disabled by default as it's currently illegal (as I understand it).

I've read some threads speculating that it will become legal later this year. But until then, the FMJ is about the only player which does it well and is easily "hacked".

3. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Why is the PAL progressive hack for the Arcam players so secret?

I am sure there are owners out there with Arcams and projectors/plasmas etc who are unaware that their gear is capable of better quality output. Even some dealers seem to be unaware that this can be done.

Do you all sign non-disclosure agreements when you receive your players? Have seen plenty of people who have received this hack by PM but never seen it posted here.

Just wondering?

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

p.s. search elsewhere for 'arcam' and '2001' and you should have some success, though probably the 'arcam secret handshake gang' have initiated you by now ;)

4. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I think it's because no-one wants to draw the attention of the DVD Forum lawyers towards Arcam. Even though Arcam are not breaking the rules (they do not give out instructions on how to enter the engineer's menu), it could be costly or awkward for them if they did have to explain themselves to that body.

I think people here respect what Arcam have done, and thus don't shout about it (but privately help out individuals that ask).

Note: this is all my own private opinion and extrapolation.

Cheers,
    Liam

5. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi the arcam is able now to output pal progessive i have had my diva 88 upgraded & in the menue when a code is entered enables pal progressive
    on the subject of arcam i mailed them on another subject but they havent bothered to reply after me spending£1250 s on their stuff
    anyone else have trouble getting help from arcam customer non surport
    P@

6. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Try calling 01223 863384 and asking for Mike Cox, I'm sure he'll put you on hold for half an hour before cutting you off.

This stuff about secret hacks and everyone trying to protect Arcam sounds like a pile of bull. If it was there you'd all know about it and tell each other.

Do we all cry and say "not telling you that region handset hack cos it's a secret", no.

Arcam will profit when it comes to Prog scan R2 upgrade time as will many a dvd player maker.

If there is a HACK, will somebody for God's sake tell all!

7. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HI you have post
    P@

8. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has it worked for you?
    P@

9. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Ok guys I stand corrected. Well done.

10. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    So then, Snowman, are you going to tell all?

Probably not I guess as you're now part of the inner circle!

I understand the argument of protecting Arcam from undue attention from the DVD Forum, but I think this secrecy is excessive. If you choose to alter service settings in your player after you have bought it then this is not the fault of Arcam and no business of the Forum. Every player which has PAL progressive is enabled in this way - eg. Denon, Philips, Pioneer, and the manufacturers can distance themselves by saying this is done by third parties (even if with their covert and tacit approval...you know who you are Denon).

So long as Arcam are not selling machines with PAL prog. enabled, publicising this hack themselves or advocating users do it then I believe they are within the terms of their licence.

Keeping quiet about it is denying some Arcam owners the chance to enable this on their machines. (or do they have to post to this thread individually and be informed by PM?)

Just a thought?

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

11. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

I am sure everibody that asked got the answer from someone, and all that come to the forum know it is possible, what else do you want...

12. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree that it's a good idea to keep Arcam out of the limelight. We should be grateful that such an easy and reliable hack is available.

I borrowed an Arcam from my local dealer a few weeks back. When I found that PAL Progressive was not enabled (turns out even the dealer didn't know how to enable it), I got a reply within 20 minutes via a private message.

I was grateful for the prompt response and respect that the person did not want to "publicly" post the hack. I've had more than 3 enquiries about the hack via private messages since then and replied to them all with the solution. Several people already had the FMJ and had no idea that PAL progressive was available!

So basically, post the question and you will get a response. It's not secret... but it's not "public" knowledge either!

13. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ok...I concede!
    Just post every week and mention your glorious PAL progressive and how easily you obtained it to let people know it is possible.
    Regards,
    Ian Guinan

Aside;
    When I asked my local Sevenoaks to demo a FMJ 27 (they do sound very good) they said they would only show me one if I was going to buy it! What if I hadn't liked it? Suffice it to say I shan't be going back....

14. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Or you could just use the search function....:D

15. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    :rolleyes: It's amazing they manage to do any business with an attitude like that.

When I asked my local Sevenoaks (Newcastle) if I could demo some speakers they got the distributor to fly them in, demo'ed them in the shop, then set them up in my home so I could try them for a few days there. That is what I call service, and that's why I keep going back to them.

Cheers,
    Liam

16. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Why would you search for something you didn't know existed?:D :D

17. Dellboy

Dellboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I've just discovered that this is a site worth visiting if you are an Arcam DV88 or DV27 owner:

www.envytech.co.uk/dv88/

18. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Come on Ian we all know you want to know what the hack is... just ask and be done with it, then you can join the ranks of "those who know.....":D

19. JUST BRING IT

JUST BRING IT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17