1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam DV27 Progressive Scan

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Cmoth, Sep 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Cmoth

Cmoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    HI

I just purchased the above player 2nd hand yesterday and need to know what I need to do to get it to play progressive pal through my Toshiba 36 inch w/s TV. The TV has pal & Ntsc progressive scan, so is there something I need to do in the menu facility of the Arcam to activate this, as it comes up not applicable? Can I unlock this?

Look forward to favourable responses.

Thanks.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    On the back of the DV27 there are 2 sets of component outputs. IIRC 1 is labelled as interlaced and one as progressive (or something similar), so should be fairly obvious what connections you need to make.

To make the player MR just switch it on with no disc in the tray. Type 11111 on the remote and then 13 for multiregion (or '1' for region 1 etc). This will work with all DVD's, even RCE discs.

Mark.

3. Cmoth

Cmoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi - Thanks for your response.

I have used the correct component sockets but in the arcam menu screen it does not allow you to utilise the progression scan, says not applicable?

If I cannot unlock this, then the progressive scan option does not work??

Anyone else any ideas?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The menu does not set progressive on or off. AFAIK the progressive component output is always progressive, so if you are useing that output then your TV will be receiving a PS picture.
    I think the options are in the menu as the same software is used on many different Arcam DVD players that don't have the 2 sets of component outputs.

Mark.

5. simonb68

simonb68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have just made a similar enquiry to Arcam, more to do with whether I have a 27 or a 27+, but part of the answer from Arcam, which I hope they won't mind if I reproduce here, was

'Once you have loaded the 1.81 software, PAL progressive scan will automatically be enabled. You do not need to turn the progeressive output on or off, because Prog scan is always active from the additional set of component sockets in a straight line above the scart socket.'

I also noticed that if I used Setup, 2,0,0,1 to get to the extra Prog Scan menu I don't have 'Allow PAL' which according to the unofficial FAQ I should, so not sure about this part. Maybe this is enabled by default and does not need changing. I don't use Prog Scan at the moment so have not looked into this any further.

Hope that helps
    Simon

6. Cmoth

Cmoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks Mark.

You seem to know what your talking about. I will have a play with it tonight and come back to you if I am still a little uncertain.

So if i use the correct connections, if the picture is as it should be, this will always be p/s picture?

Basically it cannot still show a normal picture once these connections are used although the manual seems to say something different?

Sorry to keep on!

7. Cmoth

Cmoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    that does help thanks, although now I need to find out whether my player has been updated.

I think I will speak with arcam direct and hopefully they will be able to advise ferom serial number unless any one on this forum knows already?

The player was bought new in Feb 04 so im guessing it must have been one of the last ones that were made before 27+?

8. simonb68

simonb68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Arcam support told me what model I had based on my serial number. What is your current firmware version (Setup,4,7,9,2 to get to the service menu)?

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    A progressive scan picture will always be output via the PS component. To get an interlaced picture you need to use the other component sockets.

Mark.

ps, who said I know what I'm talking about :devil:

10. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    As I see you're selling a DV88 I am suspecting you've just upgraded, so......

I was wondering with this in mind where you see an improvement, in picture performance terms and if so is it possible to describe and clarify how great a difference the picture is you see?

11. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    As Cmoth is still a bit confused about this situation I have attached an image to highlight which connections do what on his player.

12. Cmoth

Cmoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Too early to comment yet with regards to the picture quality as per my previous threads on this subject.

I have set and had always set up the player as per the recommendations here so I guess my initial reaction re the picture, is that the difference is not as great as I was expecting although early days yet so I will advise you if my observations change. I was previously using component connections with the DV88 where I thought the picture with my TV was very good indeed.

I take it your considering upgrading also then?

13. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I'll be very honest with you and say that CRT televisions that accept progressive scan very raraly look a lot better with it. It tends to be lerger display devices such as plasmas, large LCDs and projectors that really show the difference prog scan can make. I have spoken to several people who have similar tv sets to yourself and actually felt it looked better with interlaced video, its really a case of try it and see which you prefer. Be assured though that you have a very good player that will stand you in good stead should you decide to upgrade your display in the future.

14. Cmoth

Cmoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks Chris

Once again, a valuable statement that I am sure i will concur with when I have chance to sit down and have a proper play with the 2 connection formats.

I thought also that the component connection with My TV, offered superior pictures although I have not done a thorough test yet.

thanks again.

Colin

15. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I'll await a full review :)

Nope I've already done that with my DV89 :) I was just curious whether the DV27 was streets ahead of the 88 as I had a few opportunities to purchase one of these (DV27-A) prior to purchasing the 89 but at the time I couldn't quite see the justification to go the whole hog. So it would be interesting to know if the extra money spent would've turned out worthwhile. My guess...not ;)

16. Cmoth

Cmoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    From a picture point of view, I would say not but the sound for DTS & DD recordings is quite a bit better imho. Two channel mode surprisingly does not offer as much of a difference as I would expect, although it is slightly better in my set up.

For the money i paid for the DV27, Im glad I did the upgrade though, just need to shift the DV88 now!

17. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    The DV27 should comprehensively beat the DV88 for both picture and sound, particularly 2 channel audio. I suspect that your television is severely limiting the capabilities of the player. As for audio, well I don't know what other kit you are using but I'm sure there's always room for improvement.