Arcam DV27 firmware upgrades

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nigel_williams, Jul 6, 2002.

Tags:
  1. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My Arcam DV27 FMJ has the 1.74 firmware installed and an LT13 drive. I understand that 1.79 is now available. Does anyone know what changes or improvements I can expect?

My local dealer reckons that it will improve the chroma bug problem but I'm stil sceptic.

2. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Nigel
    Try this link. Its great for Arcam DVD owners. www.envytech.co.uk/dv88/
    It keeps up to date info on all firmware updates - even telling you how to perform some of them yourself - although advising against it
    AndyS

3. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks but I'd already found that. There is little there to believe that flashing will improve the Chroma Bug problem though.

1.79 (Current) May 2002
    - Improved firmware upgrade method (CD now requires CRC.txt to check integrity of dvd8.bin)
    - New PLL compatibility setting for progressive scan board
    - Small fault in OSD fixed

Not sure what PLL compatibility is!

4. rafaelp

rafaelp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone at Arcam explain what PLL compatibility is?

TIA

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Don’t know whether it is relevant but a PLL is a Phased Locked Loop. It is used in the digital input sections of the re clocking in a processor. Looks like Arcam are using PLL in their new processor (for jitter / sound reasons) and needed to ‘tweak’ their player. On the other hand I could be completely wrong on this one.

6. rafaelp

rafaelp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess my real question is how should the PLL functionality be used? Does it solve a particular problem? Under what scenarios should you fool around with it?

TIA

7. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. harry_thx

harry_thx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I read the test ( who did not..?) , but more important, I have seen it by my own. I had the 2800 for quite a year. Then I got the DV27 for testing against the 2800 on my PJ. It was a hopless race for the 2800! So I bought the dv27 immedeately. Regarding Chroma, the 2800 definetely belongs to those players, where it can be seen at most. On the first look on the dv27, I first assumed that is has no chroma bug, but at the typical scenes in TS2 you still can see it. Much better than on the denon, but....

Regards

Harry

9. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Harry,
    I have to agree that generally it's not too bad but on animated films it can be a problem. Once you've noticed it, it really sticks out and starts to bug you!

Have a look at the other thread I started regarding the response from Arcam. Basically a firmware upgrade will not remove the problem but I have asked Arcam if they intend to fix it in the future.

10. harry_thx

harry_thx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nigel,

already noted your other thread regarding the Arcam. I always follow every thread about that machine.

Unfortunately I already know, that the chroma bug is not solved with a software upgrade. Its in the MPEG chip. So, only a hardware change can help. But my knowlege is to limited, if the actuall chip can be replaced or if it will be much more work. But even it will be more work, I think Arcam has to take care about that. It is quite a splinter in my mind, to have such a excellent DVD performer with this bug included.

Regards

Harry