Arcam dv27 cable lengths?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Audionyx, Dec 28, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hello all!

Hope everyone has had a great Christmas and looking forward to the new year.

Having just recently bought an Arcam FMJ DV27 I would really appreciate a little assistance:

Firstly, does anyone know of the MAXIMUM cable length for RGB (Scart), Component and digital audio as I am considering revising room placement of gear as a plasma screen is the next purchase. I may need to place the DV27 with my hifi which is 7m away (missus friendly cable placement here!!)

Secondly, I have been lead to believe that my version of the DV27 has the Sil504 chipset. I would really appreciate verification of this - it was bought 2 weeks ago and has latest transport. I am also eager to learn if the improvements to this latest revision are as substantial as those to the DV88+ over the DV88? I know John Dawson patrols these forums so any input would be sincerely appreciated.

Best wishes again and thank you for your time...

Darren

PS - Great product Arcam - thank you

2. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I use my Arcam with 10m of component cables routed through the ceiling to the Sony VW11 and it's fine - no obvious drop in quality. It's VanDamme cable supplied by The Media Factory (Joe Fernand).

You can check the version numbers of drive and player but I'm 200 miles away from the player at the moment! I'll have a look tonight but mine's definately the older one. Have you looked on the Arcam FAQ on the envytech site? Don't have the exact URL here but google brings it up or use the forum search.

3. akash

akash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a cable made up by a company called rovert taussig in london using QED cables. its about 2.5m

my software is version 1.8. go to www.envytech.com/dv88 for your other queries.

not sure baout sil504 as i would aslo like to have a video upgrade if there is an improvement in video quality. i know mine is sil503.

if you are buying a plasma make sure you speak to joe fernand, his company is really good for plasma's & excellent advice http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/av_plasma_intro.htm

and then speak to gordon fraser for getting it calibrated (highly recommended) http://www.convergent-av.co.uk/

both are top blokes

4. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The video outputs (and digital audio output) are all true 75 ohm impedance, and so the video cable length is (almost) unlimited, provided you use proper 75 ohm video cables and calibrate the system with the user adjustments on the PJ and a test disc like Video Essentials.

Don't believe everything you hear on the net! All Arcam DVD players that have an additional progressive scan board use SiI503 deinterlacers. There is little difference between the 503 and 504 except power consumption. However current DV27s do have the new Zoran Vaddis 5 processor, which is an improvement over the previous Vaddis 3. The changes are similar to those found in a DV88 Plus over a DV88.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

5. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thank you for your help gentlemen - I will bear in mind all the info when I make the changes!

John - thank you for your response - I am a little confused as I was informed by my dealer and a member of your team that the changes were a bit more substantial than purely the vaddis decoder - can you pm any other info?

Regards

Darren