1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam DV27 - am I doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TomT, Mar 24, 2002.

Tags:
  1. TomT

TomT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got this player from an authorized on-line dealer, which I assume is new, although the firmware is 1.74.

I intended to replace my Sony S7000 with the DV27, however I'm not so sure now after trying out the DV27.

I set up the Arcam, and tried it out with Gladiator, and noticed some shimmering effects on the gold jewelry and decided to see what the Sony did with the same scenes. I found that the beginning of chap. 12, where they pan down on the big golden eagle was the best test. (My projector is in the shop, so I am comparing it and the Sony via S-Video to a Mits rpjtv.) I have it setup NTSC, tried both the Pan and Scan, and letterbox settings, (my TV is not wide screen).

On the Arcam, the eagle was shimmering and flashing all over, almost like a neon sign, whereas on the Sony, a bit of this same effect was there, but to a much much lesser extent. Also, in the same chapter, right after the eagle, the scene pans down with a building on the left, and with the Arcam, the edge was stair-stepped and fluttering, whereas on the Sony it was solid.

Am I doing something wrong, is there a defect in my new player, or have I made a mistake in purchasing this player. I do intend to use it via component progressive when my projector comes back, but from what I've seen in the above comparison, I wonder what's going on.

Thanks

2. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the player set to 16:9 or letterbox in the player-setup?

Tor Arne

3. TomT

TomT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tor,

The set is 4:3, so the player is not set to 16:9. I've tried both the 4:3 settings, with the same results.

I would think the Arcam would perform at least as well as the Sony under the same conditions....

4. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi

I've just tried out chapter 12 on my DV27 apart from a slight stair-stepping and fluttering on the left wing of the eagle I see none of the other symptons that you see. The firmware is up to 1.76 but I can't see that being the issue anyway

Why don't you give Arcam a call as this does not seem right

Ron

5. TomT

TomT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ron, are you using the progressive outputs? I am in the US, so am not sure how I'd go about calling them....

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    OK,

Here's the deal....

Does your TV, even although it's a 4:3 device, have a 16:9 or widescreen setting? If it can accept progressive component I'd assume it will. If it does, set the Arcam to 16:9 on its set up menu and then put the TV in its 16;9 mode. You will then see a huge difference.

The Sony's are actually the best DVD players for downscaling anamorphic discs to letterbox. This is what you are comparing. You are the only person I have ever heard of who wants to use a quality progressive DVD in letterbox mode. The Arcam is not the best machine for this as it has not been optimised for that scenario.

If you get your projector back and compare the Arcam to the Sony using component outs with both units in 16:9 mode I'm sure you'll see why folk perfer the Arcam.

Gordon

7. TomT

TomT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon, I only used the TV and S-Video because the pj is in the shop (should be back tomorrow), but was concerned because I would have though the Arcam's picture thru this set up would be comparable or better than the Sony.

I don't intend to use it that way regularly, I bought it because I need a progressive scan player.

Thanks

8. TomT

TomT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update on Arcam DV27: Got my pj back, and connected the DV27 via progressive component, and fired up Gladiator. Went to the same scene (with the big eagle), and it was rock solid - no shimmering or artifacts of any kind.

Picture was incredible. I had been worried earlier that I might have to return it, but I can tell you that after seeing it and hearing it set up the way I plan to use it (progressive), it's a keeper.

This is the best I've ever seen my DVD's look.;)