Quantcast

Question Arcam dv137 help needed with laser issue

overkill

Well, my Arcam 137 laser gave up the ghost. So, got a new transport, de-soldered, slotted it in, wired up - and the same issue! The new laser is still saying it cannot read any discs! Is it a more serious issue than the laser? Or could the replacement be a dud too?

larkone

Distinguished Member
Have you tried cleaning the new laser in case it picked up some dirt during fitting.

overkill

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a whirl, at this stage anything is worth a go!

overkill

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Did that, sadly did not help. In the interest of science, I removed the new drive, and replaced with the old. The old drive simply refuses even to read the disc and comes up with 'no disc'. The new drive however, spins up, tries to read the disc, then comes up with 'bad disc'. Now, this could mean a few things.. Either the new laser is also a dud, but just not a complete dud, or, something else is wrong. Alas, this could be anything! It 'could' be that not enough power is getting to the laser, either through a fault on the mainboard, 'or', and more likely, the ribbon cable to the laser is on the way out. Or, incorrectly set input voltage to the laser! Really, only an Arcam engineer could answer this, and for a ten year old DVD player that just isn't worth the money.

Top Bottom