Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Arcam DV 88+ V Philips 963

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TimF, Jan 5, 2003.

Tags:
  1. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have an Arcam DV 88+ on demo at home for the weekend.

Got to say that the performance is stunning compared to my Tosh 520.

The picture is excellent as to be expected but the sound is also superb on DTS and DD.

Has anyone had the chance to compare this player to the new philips machine - As usual matters financial are an issue - DV 88+ £1000 and 963SA £350.

I would love to get an unbiased view of opinion from the forum as I can't get a demo of the philips machine.

Can the arcam player really be worth £650 extra? - Thats a lot of DVD's or a new sub etc!

Any thoughts?

I have reasonable quality Amp and speakers and run component to Panny 100 proj.

Cheers for any responses

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Faroudja FLI 2300 DCDi utilised in Philips DVD-963SA is highly regarded, even betters Silicon Image Sil504 in regard to " jaggies " according to some reports.
    Setting aside SACD , if the Philips is tested against Arcam's latest FMJ-DV27 ( + ), that would be a more even comparison in terms of internal specification.
    The best person to observe this test is yourself.

Throwing caution to the wind I recently plumped for a Denon DVD-3800 after home trial of Diva-88+ and FMJ-DV27 ( not latest + ).
    I preferred the performance and ergonomics of the Denon, the Arcams are both excellent players too.

Most Arcam dealers will allow 10% discount if they like your face, whilst Denon DVD-3800 is £799 @ www.creative-audio.co.uk inclusive of Multi-Region / Pal-Progressive upgrade.
    The Philips DVD-963SA is £317.96 plus £12.99 shipping @ www.unbeatable.co.uk

In theory, the Philips has the electronic prowess to equal or outperform both Arcams and Denon, in practice perhaps not.
    Check out many 963 / 3800 / Arcam threads on this forum and over on www.avsforum.com.

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,046
    I would expect the DV88 to be better because it is more expensive. But this may be more apparant in CD audio playback and perhaps S-video or other interlaced outputs.

The deinterlacer in the 963 is better specced, and there is a setting to adjust chroma delay, just in case (I haven't seen any though). The DV88 has a reported problem with chroma delay which varies in importance depending on what you read.

I just can't see it being £650 better for DVDs.

5. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your responses.

I have a decent £800 cd player (Linn Mimic) so for me the new player would be all about DVD's.

Although a good picture is vital, equally important is sound. The 3 or 4 DVD players I have heard have all sounded different - The Arcam is the best (multichannel at least) imho.
    In terms of audio performance I am only interested in multichannel digital sound - since the DAC is in the amp it was surprising to me just how different DVD players sound. The transport must be a real factor.

Anyway - Thanks again

6. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Hi

If it is just DVD performance I can suggest the Limit 9900SE PAL progressive for 200 pounds from Richer Sounds

I have just bought this and it is now my main player ( from Philips 962sa PAL progressive and Sony 7700 )

It gives a really stable, colourful and detailed picture. Also I have found an improvement in the surround sound steering funny as it may seem

If you could get a demo unit from Richer Sounds? I would be very interested to see how it compares to the Arcam you are looking at

7. sirjohnofbalham

sirjohnofbalham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would agree with the comments on the Limit player. For the money it is an unbeatable bargain. I can't believe the Arcam's performance is 5 times better.

8. Placebo2

Placebo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    On the subject of the Phillips machine. This player is remote hackable from the box? Does it have to be pre-chipped? How do you enable the Pal progressive setting too?
    Thanks all!

Cheers,
    John

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It's all in the big 963 threads here and over on www.avsforum.com together with more opinions.