1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam Dv 88 Plus

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Sweden, Jul 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    treble to sharp and overly bright and it makes some cds to sounds SSSSSS on s-sounds.
    Is this normal ?
    I bought this player because i thought it should do as a cdplayer aswell , but maybe i was wrong.Perhaps i should get a cd82 instead.

And when i play cds thru the analog output is it 48 or 96 ?

2. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i do not think it is great cd player either but it should definitely not hissss. are you sure it is player and not something else?

3. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It could be my interconnect audioquest jaguar maybe (maybe the cabel is to good or bad for the player )? Or could it be my a90 amp ? Or perhaps the dacs in dv88+ ? Anaway its not funny.

4. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plump, what is it you dont like about the sound from 88+ ?

5. Urotsukidoji

Urotsukidoji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont feed the troll!

6. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what do you mean ?

7. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't see that the interconnect could make such a big difference. I have a DV79 which I think should be similar to the 88 and it sounds pretty good thru Linn Kairn-Klout-Isobariks.

What are you comparing the DV88 to? Are you getting the excessive sibilance on a lot of CDs?

8. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is very probably not your jaguar, it should be welded pretty well.
    You have to plug and swap around a bit to trace down what brings this hisss into the sound. Maybe Arcam is faulty.

About Arcam sound, I had two DV88 and never liked it. It was somehow artifitial sounding to me, can't explain. I even do not like CD33 my brother in law has now. But it is only me. I liked Unidisk a lot. (I still have my old Alpha9. It is not Linn or Accuphase but it is OK)

These things are matter of taste, but I will always claim DV88 is not a great player, decent is best word I can find for its CD performance.

P.S. Do you really think you need that expensive interconnect for your setup?

9. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe jaguar is to good for my setup. if a had a cheaper one maybe the hsss
    should not be there ?

Does the 88+ and 33 sound the same to you ?

10. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i compared whit me little cdwalkman panasonic and another cheaper cable the hsss was not there. the hsss are on quite a lot cds

11. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please excuse the basic question but are you used to a sound with no high frequencies, more of a lo-fi TV sound? Is the sound you hear a background hiss that's there all the time, or is it the sound of vocal esses and cymbals? There is something weird going on if the hiss/sibilance comes and goes with the cable, instead of just altering slightly.

12. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havent compared yet whit my old cdplayer and my old dvdplayer but i shall.
    its the sound of vocal esses and cymbals mostly. and on strong treble sounds
    its like to clear and sharp on these sounds and thats why the hssss are there i guess. like treble is to ambitious

13. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. (Still I never compared them directly). This also depends on the rest of the setup. I had two DV88 and I never thought it was great CD player.

CD33 was biggest dissapointment for me because I expected step forward from CD23 and what I found was lack of feeling, that beautifull touch that CD23 gives to the music was gone.
    I listened this player on few occasions, (and even broght it home once to be sure) and I simply do not find it great.

Still some people who know much more than I do found it great. Just read review in last Stereophile, for an example.

Tastes......

14. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean that the 23 had a warmer sound ?