Arcam DV-29

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by BladeRnR, Oct 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. BladeRnR

BladeRnR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,

Thank you for your promt reply it was my fault for not reading more clearly about the DV-29 and AV8 regarding SACD playback.

Another question I would like to ask (I have many) is why did Arcam drop the Silicon chip from the DV-29 that worked so well in the DV-27A? I never owned the DV-27A but Secrets reviewed the DV-27A and raved about it's video performance for de-interlacing. But Arcam have decided to use the Zoran V for de-interlacing for the DV-29 which is so far behind the silicon and other offerings that it has me confused as to why it was dopped? Has the DV-29 got a better version of the Zoran V chipset and does the DV-29 have better video de-interlacing than the DV-27A? Sorry for all the questions but on another forum there is a running debate as to the video performance between the two players. My argument is that Arcam would not go backwards with their players and the DV-29 would be superior or equal to the DV-27A can you please clarify this for me. I did own the Marantz DV12S2 before and I believe the Arcam offers a better picture but the Marantz users a better de-interlacing chipset so other people on the forum are questioning my results. Does Arcam intend to implement the silicon chip into the DV-29 in the future? If you could please let me know I would very much appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

PS. I tried to send this via a pm but you have exceeded your limit

Simon

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,268
    If you want to get the most out of the DV29 you should be using the HDMI output. Anyone that can afford to buy the DV29 and AV8 should be able to afford to buy a HDMI capable disply too.

3. gregeas

gregeas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    On which forum is the other debate? Avsforum.com? Just curious...

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I think the Marantz uses the same deinterlacer as Pioneer, Here's what kris Deering from Secrets has to say about the Pio 59avi "T-Rex" deinterlacer:

"The de-interlacer did the same as previous Pioneer's. It passed the film based material but failed the mixed modes and 2:2 material. The chroma bug is not present like the 563a but there is a slight flicker with Monsters Inc and I noticed banding in color on some video based menus (The Big Lebowski) that isn't there with other players tested.

The de-interlacer is motion adaptive but does not pass the Faroudja flag test like the DCDi chips do."

So if it can't do 2:2 properly it's not going to be very good! The Arcam DV27A (silicon image deinterlacer) does 2:2 quite well with PAL discs. I don't know how good the deinterlacer is in the DV29.

5. BladeRnR

BladeRnR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crusty that reply doesn't help very much. Currently I'm unable to use the HDMI as my Hytachi 57" does not have one otherwise I would. As for affording a display that does it has taken me a year to save for the Arcam gear and I'm not made of money unless you want to front up the cost for me.. I will have to wait until someone on this forum actually knows and can answer my questions properly. ATM HDMI just isn't an option so will have to make do with what I have which still leaves my questions unanswered. The forum is HTguide.com in the home theatre section thread name Arcams Cometh.

6. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi BladeRnR.

Having had Tag equipment in the past, and now looking to buy some replacement kit, I am considering some AV receivers. I am beginning to think this may be a mistake as I may actually need another Pre/Pro/Amp setup to be satisfied with the sound. Having seen the picture from the DV79 I was extremely impressed. Unfortunately, the appaling remote control performance put me off and I am now looking at the Denon 3910 instead.

However.............

I see from your post on HTguide.com, that you say the AV8 remote works your FMJ29 no probs. This may be a way out for me, particularly if the Arcam AV8 is as good as you say it is.

Two questions:

1) Does the AV8 remote really sort out the "normal" Arcam remote problems?

2) What Amp are you using with the AV8, is it the Arcam P7?

Thanks, Gerald. :)

7. BladeRnR

BladeRnR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using the Krell TAS 5 channel amp with the Arcam. The AV8 remote is definaltly better for everything . The DV-29 remote is just terrible :thumbsdow and takes 4 trys to get one function to work very frustrating. The only thing you need to remember with the AV8s remote is that you need to press the input button for each component that you want to use Eg. dvd press dvd on the remote and then use it's functions. Besides this it's working very well.

8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,268
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to be unhelpful. I have another look at the back of the DV29 to see if it has the space for the Sil board but I suspect it won't. I am fairly sure that Arcam has dropped the Sil board to keep costs down and thus more appealing and also to partly force people down the HDMI route particularly as it does full mulitchannel audio down HDMI as well.

9. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But is the DV29 with Vaddis 5 over HDMI clearly better than the DV27 with SiI504 over component? It's not a hypothetical question. I'm really curious to know, as I haven't seen them together.

But in my audition of the DV79 over HDMI, it was not better than my SiI504-equipped DV88+.

The Krell Showcase DVD has HDMI and the SiI504. I'd love to see how it performs, but it is $1000+ more than the DV29.

10. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,268
    I have compared the Sil504 output of the DV27A to the HDMI output of the DV29 and the DV29 edges ahead very slightly. It definitely looked crisper and had cleaner edges to everything. I think it also depends on the quality of the source material too, oh and also your display device.

11. BladeRnR

BladeRnR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Crusty for taking then time to do that comparison. Did you try the DV-29 without using HDMI I'm interested how big a difference there is compared to the DV-27a and if the Silican chip has the edge over the Zoran chips. I was kind of hoping that Arcam have improved upon the Zoran chip since bringing out the DV-27A. Thanks again :smashin: