Arcam DV-29 and SanyoZ4

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sithlord10, Aug 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Sithlord10

Sithlord10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all. I'm a newbie when it comes to projectors just having purchased a Sanyo Z4. I have a question regarding some options on the dvd player and the projector. First off when I use the HDMI the option for progessive in the setup menu of the Dvd player is unchangable for progesssive (greyed out). Is this normal? Before I hooked up the player to the projector I selected off for progressive but it automatically selected it once I selected HDMI for the input. Second in the setup menu on the Z4, there are various options under the progressive setting. At the moment it's greyed out on L1 and I cannot change it. I just want to make sure that it's set on the right setting. L1 in the manual says it's for moving images but theres an option that says Film and thats for watching movies which is all I'm using this projector for. If anyone can shed some light on this I would very much appreciate it. Thanks

2. linkster

linkster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hello Sith,

I don't use HDMI but it being greyed out on the Z4 menu suggests it's receiving a prog scan signal and therefore won't use it's own prog scan ability. Have a look at the Info tab on your Z4 menu (the bottom one) and see what resolution it thinks is coming in - if it's 576p then your DVD player is outputting correctly but for whatever reason hasn't registered that you want to disable prog scan.

3. Simon10

Simon10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Linkster. I just check the info for both NTSC and PAL. For Pal it's D-575p and for NTSC it's D-425p. How do I get 720p? Hope my settings are correct on the dvd player but theres not many options I just selected HDMI and it went into progressive on it's own. I guess in order to turn it off I will have to connnect the player via component to a monitor to do this as the option is greyed out in the setup. I guess what I'm asking is am I getting the best possible picture with what I currently have? Will the picture be better with progressive on or off? Thanks in advance

Ps. I couldn't remember my password for my other account that I use at work so I created another User in case you were wondering :)

4. ukkev2000

ukkev2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Films at 720p are HD films - is your player a HD-DVD player?

If not, then 576p is the best you are going to get from a DVD. The original source material is encoded on the disc at that quality - SD or Standard Definition.

Some DVD players would "upscale" this to 720p but the majority of them would pump out the DVD at 576p, like yours is and mine does. That's why your info menu will show 576p on the Z4 when you're playing a DVD.

5. linkster

linkster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Progressive should definitely be on, you'll get a better picture that way. What you haven't seen yet is whether the Z4 will do a better job of de interlacing than your DVD player, and for that you need to figure out how to disable prog scan on your DVD player so you can browse the prog scan options on the Z4 and see if you notice the difference. Sorry I can't help with turning prog scan off in your DVD player.

As Kev says you can't make full use of the display options (e.g. 720p, 1080i) on your Z4 unless you get an upscaling DVD player or preferably a dedicated scaler.