1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam DiVa DV88, Revisions and Picture Differences

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Plump, Mar 13, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there
    Last week a friend of mine from abroad came for a visit and after seing my DV88 (one of the very first ones - delivered in March 2001) he was so delighted that he decided to take one with himself.

We went to the dealer who had them on stock and bought one. Just to be sure it's all fine we wanted to test it there. And what happened: Picture from the new one (software 1,76) was a bit better than on the old dealers player (he also upgraded that one to 1,76). The same was clearly to be seen at my home later that evening (both tested over rgb and s video)! Dealer knew nothing about this but since player sold was better we did not complain!

Does this mean Arcam has improved newer revisions of the player, or they implemented something from the new technology from FMJ, or is it anything else we should (not) know.
    Can't be because mine is silver and his black!!! :)

It might be interesting to hear their opinion on this but I am afraid it might be tabu.

Anyway, any experiences?

Cheers
    Plump

2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am pretty sure the new software won´t change the image quality, but I also know the FMJ is better, I use to have a DV88, maybe you are right, and they improved the hardware in latest versions...:confused:

3. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is not the software for sure (I maybe did not write it too clear) but I assume they adopted something from FMJ . . .:confused:

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    As far as I can remmember the only difference between the fMj and the OLD DV88's was the audio ouput DAC's. The DV88 and the fMj27 are identical internally other than the additon of the pro-scan card in the 27 (and the fMj uses a mtch better chasis).

5. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Richard -

The FMJ DV27 also has a second toroidal power transformer, just for the audio stages. DV88s made since the late spring of 2001 and all DV27s also have an improved transport mounting system .

John Dawson (Arcam)

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    John,

Are you saying superior mechanical design of the transport gives a better picture?........but I thought it was all 1's and 0's...how can this be;)

Gordon

7. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's obvious that the black model is deflecting any spurious interference creating a much better picture, didn't you know that black is always better than silver :clown: ;) :clown:

Steve

8. Banjaxe

Banjaxe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    But what if you bought the silver version and then covered it in green felt tip pen...

(If you're too sane or too young to know about green felt tip pens and sound quality it's probably better not to ask)

Ronnie

9. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It still wouldn't be as good as a black one with green felt tip all around the edge of the box ;)

Oh and for absolute perfection, put it in the freezer for about 4 hours :clown:

Same as Ronnie
    but for green felt tip pens substitute "putting it in the freezer"

Steve

10. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    But I thought it was important to leave it on to enable the components to run at optimal operating temperature?

My DV27 is always ON.

Perhaps another strategy could be to place the transport & internal components in the oven whilst the casing is in the freezer?

A kind of Baked Alaska approach? Now where did I put that Delia[DEL] [DEL] [DEL] RUSS Andrews guide to sound??

Mark.

11. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Inverse Baked Alaska, Ice Cream on the outside with a nice tasty meringue in the middle, mmmmmm!! Hang on a minute.... [​IMG]

Steve