1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam Diva A85 Amp bass-treble works on left channel

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by jvilly, Nov 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. jvilly

jvilly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I have just bought this Amplifier, and after connecting it to my Diva DV88 it sounded pretty good (source direct). After a while I tested the use of bass and treble, that went also well. But after an hour only the left channel works well with these specific bass-treble settings. Only on tone "off" (or source direct) both speakers work correct.

I have restored the default factory settings, and even unplugged the amp for one night from the 220v. Both actions did not result in a solution.

Is there any explaination of this behaviour of this amp? Software or a perhaps a security circuit? Is there any solution?

Thanks in advance! :lease:

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi please explain a bit more clearly what does not work well. Is it crackling, is the tone control not working but the sound is OK etc.

I suspect that this has gone faulty but I can't really understand why, a bit more explanation may allow me to tell you what is wrong.

Regards,
    Andrew

3. jvilly

jvilly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

What happens is that when not using the "tone" function both speakers make music. When using "tone" (so my bass and treble preferences work) only the left speaker makes music (with the extra bass and treble), the right one is completely quiet. And when I disable "tone" than both speakers work well.

The sound is in both cases very good (as I expected from this Amp), but the strange thing is... that when I use the "tone" function the right speaker refuses to make any sound at all.

Off topic; when using the volume control the sound from my speakers make a little sound.

How much will a possible upgrade to DTS cost for this Amp?

Thanks in advance!

4. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi, it sounds like it must have a faulty component in the tone control. Sorry but it will need to come back for repair. If it is an A85 I assume it is second hand or ex demo. Please contact your local ARCAM dealer to have the unit sent back.

It is perfectly normal to get a slight tick when changing the volume control. It is because for improved base response the amplfier is DC coupled and you are hearing the slight shift in the DC level as the volume control changes the gain.

The A85 does not have a DTS option. The only option available is a multichannel board this uses the decoding in the DVD Player for DTS/DOLBY/DVD-Audio. Unfotunately the DV88 does not have this decoding as it is stereo only. So you either need it to upgrade to a DV89 (£350 for a DV88+ more if yours is an old DV88 as it needs to be upgraded to an 88+first) then you could use it with the 7.1 channel board that costs £349

The other option would be to use an AVR300 in combination with the A85. The newer A85s have a processor mode that fixes the volume to make this easier. To find out if your unit has this just look through the menus for the processor mode option, if its there then you have the feature. If you don't you can still use it it is just less convienient as the volume control on the A85 with change at the same time as the AVR300.

Regards,
    Andrew

5. jvilly

jvilly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy Dutton for your clear and detailed explaination. Indeed I bought it as a demo model at a retailer in The Netherlands.

The strangest thing happened today. The amplifier was not "on" for about 18 hours, because I switched the amp off since yesterday evening. Somehow the problem with the right channel haven't occuring anymore. Both channels work well with "tone" on and off.

In this case I think it is a software issue. Because when some hardware was broken, this should occur permanently. (this is my experience with hardware). Do you perhaps know how I find out which software (firmware) version I have, and which one is preferrable?

I guess it is best to let it even though repaired, but as always with broken things; when you are at the repairing person the hardware somehow works well without a crack. And so I am affraid that I will have to wait until the problem occurs?

Many thanks.

6. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi, it may have been a software problem, however I have not seen it before and so if it was it must have been a random crash due to static.

I think it is more likely you have a component that is very slightly loose and the thermal change has moved it back into contact with the PCB. However you are correct you need to wait till it has failed repeatably before sending it in for repair.

You can get the software version number by pressing phono, tuner and dvd at the same time on the front keyboard of the amp.

Regards,
    Andrew

7. jvilly

jvilly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all / Andy

Some new things happened, today I wanted to listen to a cd. I turned on the amplifier, and dvd player. From start there was no sound at all. When listening very well to the speaker (ears on tweater/woofer) you can hear music far far away. The dvd player gives correct output, because my tv-set makes music via SCART.

Then I turned off the amp, and turned on, this didn't solve the problem. Also going back to default settings didn't make a difference. Once I took the powercable from the current (power 220 volts (Netherlands)), my amp A85 did work correctly. Good sound from both speakers. :thumbsup:

So my second problem (in 4 weeks) with the software occured :confused: , I am affraid these problems will continue. When I send this Amp to Arcam they probably won't find the problem because it is "solved". The problem is not to be found, until it occurs again off course. (or is there an error log inside the firmware?)

My software (or firmwareversion is: ARCAM A85 issue 1.0 / 1 DEC 2000) is probably the first version and so perhaps there are patches or better version available? Will Arcam be willing / able to solve my problem?

Thanks!

8. jvilly

jvilly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The A85 got repaired begin january this year, new mainboard and new firmware 3.4 Now same problem occurs. Only left channel has bass and treble, right channel no sound at all. :( So now I am back where I started. When using tone, only left channel works, when tone switched off, both speakers work well.

Is there any reasonable cause for this? Because I am affraid this will be a never ending story.