Arcam DIVA 89...hmmmm yes please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dr_mabuse, Jan 21, 2003.

Tags:
  1. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    homecinemachoice website has a feature on this new player....looks v.cool.... is it the same as the oft mentioned 88+?

I was almost going to go for the 88+ recently but I have not been able to find out if it will playback "-" or "+" format burned material, as I have some of both types.

According to the specs this one plays just about everything as well as having DVD-A and PAL/NTSC prog.

Speaking of which, I came across an ad here http://www.leconcepts.com/dvd_home.htm
    for the Toshiba SD9500 recently and it clearly states that it does progressive on NTSC and PAL - is this correct? Does anyone have this player?

I am new to the whole Prog Scan arena - where can I find a list of suitable display devices that would make use of the output from such machines?

Cheers

dr_mabuse

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    The DV88+ will play exactly the same disks as the DV89 ... except obviously not DVD-A.

I understand that if you buy a DV88+ now ... that the cost of upgrading to the DV89 will be around £200 (difference between then DV88+ and DV89) ... though that offer will be for limited period then upgrade will be £400.

Progressive Scan is generally used with projectors and plasma tellys ... though Toshiba's newest range of CRT TV's do progressive scan (not sure if its prog scan on both PAL and NTSC or just NTSC).

Victoria

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    NTSC only.

4. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    victoria/gringottsdirect

Thanks for replying. ;)

Are there no CRT's around that accept NTSC and PAL progressive? What about the modular upgradeable types such as Loewe or B&O? Don't they offer upgrade boards or am I grossly oversimplifying?

To be honest the DVD-A bit is of little interest - I had a quick scan through my usual suppliers' sites and couldn't find a single title I wanted!! Another typical case of hardware in place but no software available I guess. When will manufacturers learn?

Oh, forgot to ask - I take it the DV88+ (or DV89) can be enabled for all regions? Did you see the link regarding the Toshiba SD9500 - is this genuinely PAL and NTSC prog scan?

TIA

dr_mabuse

5. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Panasonics TX32PH40 and TX32PS20.

And the DV88+ and 89 can be both be made region-free through a simple remote code.

6. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    yes,the toshiba 9500 is now officialy upgradable to prog PAL