Arcam DIVA 89...hmmmm yes please

dr_mabuse

Established Member
Reaction score
homecinemachoice website has a feature on this new player....looks v.cool.... is it the same as the oft mentioned 88+?

I was almost going to go for the 88+ recently but I have not been able to find out if it will playback "-" or "+" format burned material, as I have some of both types.

According to the specs this one plays just about everything as well as having DVD-A and PAL/NTSC prog.

Speaking of which, I came across an ad here http://www.leconcepts.com/dvd_home.htm
for the Toshiba SD9500 recently and it clearly states that it does progressive on NTSC and PAL - is this correct? Does anyone have this player?

I am new to the whole Prog Scan arena - where can I find a list of suitable display devices that would make use of the output from such machines?

Cheers

dr_mabuse

Originally posted by dr_mabuse
homecinemachoice website has a feature on this new player....looks v.cool.... is it the same as the oft mentioned 88+?

I was almost going to go for the 88+ recently but I have not been able to find out if it will playback "-" or "+" format burned material, as I have some of both types.

According to the specs this one plays just about everything as well as having DVD-A and PAL/NTSC prog.
The DV88+ will play exactly the same disks as the DV89 ... except obviously not DVD-A.

I understand that if you buy a DV88+ now ... that the cost of upgrading to the DV89 will be around £200 (difference between then DV88+ and DV89) ... though that offer will be for limited period then upgrade will be £400.

I am new to the whole Prog Scan arena - where can I find a list of suitable display devices that would make use of the output from such machines?

Cheers

dr_mabuse
Progressive Scan is generally used with projectors and plasma tellys ... though Toshiba's newest range of CRT TV's do progressive scan (not sure if its prog scan on both PAL and NTSC or just NTSC).

Victoria

victoria/gringottsdirect

Thanks for replying. ;)

Are there no CRT's around that accept NTSC and PAL progressive? What about the modular upgradeable types such as Loewe or B&O? Don't they offer upgrade boards or am I grossly oversimplifying?

To be honest the DVD-A bit is of little interest - I had a quick scan through my usual suppliers' sites and couldn't find a single title I wanted!! Another typical case of hardware in place but no software available I guess. When will manufacturers learn?

Oh, forgot to ask - I take it the DV88+ (or DV89) can be enabled for all regions? Did you see the link regarding the Toshiba SD9500 - is this genuinely PAL and NTSC prog scan?

TIA

dr_mabuse

Are there no CRT's around that accept NTSC and PAL progressive?

Panasonics TX32PH40 and TX32PS20.

And the DV88+ and 89 can be both be made region-free through a simple remote code.

yes,the toshiba 9500 is now officialy upgradable to prog PAL

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom