1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam + Distance Selling

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jspr, May 25, 2004.

Tags:
  1. jspr

jspr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Having researched my new dvd player I had decided upon the Arcam DV88+ which was advertised on the creative-audio web site for £499. Decided to go ahead and buy and they told me Arcam will not allow them to sell mail order !!!!! As creative-audio are a couple of hundred miles away from me this is one :censored: unhappy punter who will not be buying Arcam - ever. They might have a good reputation for customer service but their sales policy stinks. :thumbsdow

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think the whole reason for the rule is so they can keep up there great customer service and rep.

they just dont let anyone sell there gear.

maybe you could pay using your card and have a freind/ family anyone you trust pick it up for you and post it to you.

3. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Go on, visit the beautiful Shropshire countryside. Shrewsbury is worth a visit in it's own right. Make a day out of a visit to Creative, see the sights, it's worth it.

As an alternative, some other dealers have the DV88+ at £599. Sevenoaks HiFi is one of these and they have dealerships all over the country. Doesn't cover the petrol costs but it may save the journey.

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/products/hotproducts.html

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    a couple hundred miles away is nothing :)

5. jspr

jspr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I did phone my local arcam dealer and could get the 88+ for £600 (£100 more than creative). The other player I was interested in was the denon 2200 which I can get for about £470 - is it really worth paying an extra £130 for the arcam ??? Any advice appreciated. (It would be connected to my Fujitsu VHA30 Plasma)

6. hi_robb

hi_robb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lo there,

Trust me it's worth paying the extra for the DV88+. I live up a couple of hundred miles away and got a friend to drive me down to Shrewsbury to pick up a DV89. I'm so glad I got it, it really is the muts nuts.

I had a denon 3800 prior which I used and CD playback alone was better just using a digital coaxial cable to a cheap amp. Picture quality is better too, although the difference between the 3800 and the dv89 isn't as big as I thought it would be, it is noticable though.

In the end I went out a purchased a Pioneer AX5 and a set of Kef Egg MkIIs to do this player justice.

I can honestly say that the sound is now absoloutely stunning, I've never had a better system. I use the analogue outs for CD playback. I'm now listening to my entire CD collection again as I hear details and things I've never heard before. I still heard quite a lot more detail using my old amp too.

I'm going to get a Arcam AV300 amp shortly. The quality of the DV89 has been enough to convince me that Arcam really do make top quality products,

Go get it m8, it's worth the drive and Shrewsbury is a lovely place to visit, the lads at Creative are damned helpful and friendly too.

Dave

7. jspr

jspr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for your reply m8.

Must admit I still fancy the arcam - will have to do some serious thinking this weekend ! :rolleyes:

8. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Depends if you are going to use it for CD replay.
    The Arcam is very good with CD's.....better than the Denon IMO and the PQ is better than the denon also.
    But if you have a dedicated CD player, then go for the Denon.........you get good PQ and save a bit of money.
    I mainly use my Arcam 89 for CD's now and the accasional DVD and use a Denon 2900 for most of my DVD viewing, as it still gives a very good picture plus you get no layer change, which i love about the denon's.

I am very plaesed with my 89, but i wish now, i'd have kept my first 2900 and just brought myself an Arcam CD player.....could have saved myself alot of money.... :zonked: :blush:

9. Mungo

Mungo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rather than drive you could check that Barclaycard still do their price match and buy it with that if you have a Barclaycard. Then you make a claim for the difference. I saved quite a lot on a digicam and a DVD recorder this way and I have the comfort of buying from a proper local store but with an internet price. I don't know if they still do it.