1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam Delta Black Box DAC

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by pwiles1968, Jul 31, 2003.

Tags:
  1. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    After reading the thread “DAC Info that may be helpful” :smashin: I have been toying with the idea of adding a DAC to my system problem is I’m broke, I have noticed a couple of the Arcam DAC’s (the 50 not the 500 unfortunately) going fairly cheap (don’t want to spend more than £50).

I would probably get rid of the changer and just have the DVD player in order to free up space (assuming it sounds at least as good as my current set-up), with the aim of upgrading the DVD after Christmas but keeping the DAC if I get one.

Does anyone have any experience with these DAC’s and are they worth paying £50 for over the Yamaha changer fed to the internal DAC’s in my Marantz and the Arcam does have a re-clocking stage for jitter correction, but is quite old now.

I have also found out that the 6.1 input on the Marantz is an analogue bypass so it does not convert from analogue back to digital would this be the best place to feed a DAC? Obviously if I got one I would experiment for myself to see if there is any sound difference but thought I would ask for opinions anyway.

2. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The Arcam should still wipe the floor with the Marantz DAC. I would try it with both your Yamaha and your Tosh. The digital out from the DVD is not that great for audio.
    The Arcam DAC should have much more impact and bass power/slam than you currently have. Probably better imaging as well.
    I used to sell these when they were current and theres not much around even now that will beat them until you spend £500+ on a CD

3. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    With the 603 and Mono-Blocks I do not have much of an issue with Bass, but I feel detail and possibly soundstage may do with a little improvement although they are pretty good now. I will give one a go if I can get one at the right price and see what happens. How do you think it would compare with the Rotel 02 or Arcam CD72, I have listened to both of these and like the sound.

Thank you for the advice.

4. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    It's been around 10 years since I heard the black box but I don't feel that CD replay has significantly improved at that level. The RCD02 and the CD72 are both excellent machines but I would still think that a Delta Black Box with a decent signal will be better than either one. Probably more like the CD72 but as I said, with more 'wallop' (I realise that the 603's already have plenty). Maybe the top end might not be as subtle as the modern machines but I think the music would have more drive and vitality.
    I can't remember if there was more than one digital input though.
    Try to hear it if you can.