Arcam CR80 vs CR100

Dankeech

I recently had learning problems with the CR80 remote that came with my CR80 (Proven down to remote malfunction, not me by the way).

Arcam and my local retailer came up trumps and just over a week after dropping my CR80 off at the retailer, my retailer called and I collected the upgraded CR100 remote (I expected this was likely by the very helpful Arcam rep who advised it would likely be the case).

I'm finding I'm (at least so far) missing some features of the old remote. The new one seems just a little bit intuitive for my liking whereas I like to be manually in control.

Main thing is when I press DVD to operate the DVD player, the remote switches over the selected input to DVD when that's maybe not what I want at the time etc.

Then again, there's the lovely 'Direct' button at the bottom left of the remote which is soooo useful.

Just wondering for those people who have / have had both remotes, what are your thoughts?

I'm thinking at this point I miss my CR80, but I'm sure setting some time aside with my CR100 and the manual will probably change my mind.

The CR80 was pretty much done already out of the box...:rolleyes: Maybe that's it and I'm being lazy (well, burning candle both ends badly at the moment:suicide: )

Dan.

Designer

If you want to, say, operate the DVD player WITHOUT also switching the preamp over to DVD at the same time, press the "SHIFT" button (I think it is) before the "DVD" button . This way, the CR100 is configured for the operating the DVD but doesn't also send out the command that switches the preamp over to DVD first.

Mark

tvh3ad

I liked the layout of the CR80 better in some respects, notably the nice, big volume up/down and channel-track up/down, and also the non-slip coating. I like the smaller size and general look of the CR100 better and have gotten used to the non-intuitive button layout, though I still find myself needing to look at it to figure out which button to press -- never a problem with the CR80, which I knew by feel.

The CR100 does seem to have more memory for learning commands -- I ran out of memory trying to program the CR80 but didn't with the CR100 -- and I like the macro feature. Unfortunately, there's a slight shortage of buttons on the CR100 so I can't make as much use of macros as I would like. The CR100 also seems to put out a slightly stronger IR signal, or at any rate I don't seem to need to hold it up and point it at stuff, whereas with the CR80 I usually did.

Someone already mentioned that you can change the device mode without changing input selection by pressing SHIFT. I find this awkward: I change the device modes much more often than I change input selection and personally I'd prefer the opposite behavior, but that doesn't seem to be something one can alter.

Neither of these remotes is perfect, but if the CR80 had been slightly smaller (but with the same number of buttons) and with more learning memory, I'd probably still be using it instead of the CR100.

ANDY_DUTTON

Hi, If you want to turn off the IR transmission feature on the CR100 you can do this by using the mode key IR punch through option in the maual. Page E20.

Once turned off IR will only be transmitted if you go from amp mode to a source rather than from any source to any other source.

i.e to change from SAT to CD you would need to press AMP CD to get IR. if you just press CD it will only change the mode.

Regards,
Andrew

tvh3ad

Hi, If you want to turn off the IR transmission feature on the CR100 you can do this by using the mode key IR punch through option in the maual. Page E20.

Thanks! I assumed that page dealt with volume punch-through & had skipped over it. Sounds like exactly what I want.

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
Main thing is when I press DVD to operate the DVD player, the remote switches over the selected input to DVD when that's maybe not what I want at the time etc.

If you want to, say, operate the DVD player WITHOUT also switching the preamp over to DVD at the same time, press the "SHIFT" button (I think it is) before the "DVD" button . This way, the CR100 is configured for the operating the DVD but doesn't also send out the command that switches the preamp over to DVD first.

Actually, what you need to do is press and hold the 'DVD' button on the remote. This will tell the remote to switch to DVD control mode but will not switch the amp to the DVD input. This is explained near the bottom of page 3 of the CR100 manual:

"If you press and hold a Device Mode key, you change the Device Mode without changing the signal source."

Personally I think this feature on the remote would be far more natural to use if it worked the opposite way around and that you had to press and hold the device key to control and switch inputs to the device selected. I have used a NevoSL remote for all my gear for the past year or so and so have never needed to uses any of the remotes supplied with my Arcam kit and cannot really comment much further on the usability of the CR100 remote. I did use the CR80 quite a bit and use it a lot in the shop as I know my way round it without looking at it at all.

Dankeech

Personally I think this feature on the remote would be far more natural to use if it worked the opposite way around and that you had to press and hold the device key to control and switch inputs to the device selected.

I'm in total agreement with this (now you've made me notice:) ); well-put.

I'm going to spend a little time with the CR100 this weekend if I'm not burning the candle at both ends (Currently looks like could go either way at the moment).

There's definitely benefits of this remote, but it requires a little more investment in time that the CR80 did. I can see I haven't touched the surface yet.

Presumably the CR100 only comes in silver? Must admit an Arcam-Black CR100 would look smart.

Dan.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom